what shrub should i plant in this area?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Clear-Cut, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

it was formerly occupied by a small alberta spruce...but it died. im guessing because it wasnt getting enough sun

i dont know much about shrubs and plants so i need your help

the requirements are

light shade
    zone 6-7
    grows no larger than 3 feet wide and 4 feet tall

i wanted to put in some ornamental grass, because it is easy to maintain, but my customer went to the nursery and they told her that ornamental grass grows wild (which i dont believe to be true) so now she is completely against the ornamental grasses.

i would recomend a shrub and something columnar looking...nothing round...no boxwood

2. SW Landscape Maintenance

SW Landscape Maintenance LawnSite Member

You may want to consider a type of Yew shrub . They will stay compact with a little trimming and are a slow grower. Our Yews in Canada may have a different name than yours. If it was here in Canada I would go with a Hills Yew. Hope that helps. Best of luck.

3. Clear-Cut

thanks, but dont yews grow rounded? kind of like boxwood?

i originally wanted to put in zebra grass, but she has the thought of it growing out of control in her head now...idk maybe i will just try to talk her into it...

any other ideas?

4. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Not trying to be a smartass, but go and talk with your local nursery- you're gona have to get something there anyway! Someone there would be happy to help you find the right plant for that place. Maybe take a picture of the site and show them. They could probably help you better. There are hundreds of items we could tell you but without any idea of what it looks like, it might be useless to name anything.

5. SW Landscape Maintenance

SW Landscape Maintenance LawnSite Member

There are Yews up here that grow tall and narrow ...but like I said they might be named differently. Yes there is rounded globe Yews but most of the time they are trimmed that way. All the best.

6. Clear-Cut

that is what i was planning on doing but, a lot of places around here dont have their full selection out yet...i did notice that most places are starting to get all of their plants in this week, so ill have to stop in and check it out...i was just hoping to get some ideas before heading over to the nursery...

when i do go to the nursery ill check to see if they have any types of yews that grow straight up..

7. Rcgm

Rcgm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Glad to help clear cut. ALot of times Alberta spruces die because a house is brick and brick gets really hot in the summer and it bakes the back out of them. If she wants nothing rounded and likes yews try a Hicks upright yew the grow up but they don't stop at 4 feet LOL if it was a perfect world the would. I am not sure what you meant by grow wild. You mean out of control? Yes the do. They get biger and bigger every year and have to be split eventually if planted in a small area. If you want a nice ornamental grass that does not get those corn stalk shoots try a Maiden Grass. Is this on a corner of her house? Front or back yard. If on a corner in the front do it up nice I would put a umbrella Japanese maple on the corner kinda high in price but nice. You are really limited if you want a tree or bush when you want it no taller than 4 feet. If I can help you in anyway shoot me a PM and I will give you my email.

P.S Try google street maps look her address up and you can see the front of her house.

RCGM
    Brad