What side do you trim with??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, May 29, 2004.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Ok, this might be kind of confusing, but what side of the trimmer line do you trim with? The front side (trimming line turning into the grass) or the back side (trimming line turning away from the grass)

When it comes to keeping grass out of beds I always trim with the back side, but other times I trim with the front side.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

12 people looked at this and they have no idea

3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I always trim so the grass is coming back into the mowing area.

I guess it depends on which side of whatever you're trimming you're walking on.

Example:

If you're trimming a curb line (I know, I'm supposed to edge so it looks "professional"), if you're walking in the grass, backwards, then backside.

If you're walking on the street, "pushing" the grass back into the mowing area, then the front side.

I've had guys that I've eventually fired because they could not figure out that if they didn't trim grass all over the street, in flower beds, etc., that we would have less clean-up. Drove me nuts.

4. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I trim into the grass.

I walk forward and whatever Im trimming on the left if it is a wall, pole, tree or something vertical.

If its a ditch or just high grass with no obstructions i will walk backwards and trim to the left.

I also have my loop handle adjusted fairly close to the trigger handle. Less back stress.

5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I edge everything with the trimmer first, [after mowing]then trim, but to answer your question I use both sides both depending on the contour or height the grass is above or below the walk or if I a trimming next to beds or a fence. I partcularly don't care where the grass goes as I mow first [less trimming]and if it is excesssive I take care of it when I blow.

6. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I use my right hand on the trigger and trim with the left side of the trimmer, generally.

7. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I like to think of it in terms of a clock. I trim between about 11 and 2. Cutting past about 11 or 12 helps to prevent the stuff from coming back at you.

8. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Wow writing is confusing. Mann22 I agree with you and have fired people for not walking the patterns and directions I require.

I trim with weed eater on my right side and always walk around my objects clockwise. So that everythin is thrown into the grass.

For me it means that I always walk forward and that I do not have the trimmer across my body.

9. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I trim with the left side of the trimmer while walking side ways.
    this way you throw the grass back at your feet.

10. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I keep straighter edges walking forward into the grass, but trim level around poles and stuff walking backwards or forward trimming away from the grass