What Size Air Compressor?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Dunn's, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

We are going to purchase a new air compressor soon and are wondering what size to get. We will be using it for removing blades with an impact wrench,grinder, sander, filling tires, and possibly paint gun. So we are having trouble deciding because we thought you wanted the most CFM but the larger the tank it seems they have less CFM. So what dou you all think?

2. Rizzo

Rizzo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

I have used an 11 gallon coleman powermate for about 12 years now for framing, grinding, painting, impact tools etc.... It works well but with the grinder it empties out the tank rather quickly. I would recommend one of the craftsman 33 gallon upright compressors. The uprights take up less floor space. Should be more than adequate for what you are using it for.

3. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks Rizzo. So you don't think it matters that the bigger tanks have less CFM.

4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

get a belt drive, the direct drives are incredibly noisy. We have a Husky 26 gallon. We had a similar sized direct drive Coleman, but it was too noisy, so we replaced it.

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

For operating air impact wrenches, and sanders and such. you are going to want at least 6 cfm @90 psi. One of the craftsman 30 or 33 gal. units will work I would suggest a bit larger so it wont be running quite as much. (this will prolong life espically if you are going to be doing a lot of sanding or using an air hammer or cutter.)
    I had a 33 gal craftsman compressor and it was decent. I still have it but I am going to upgrade to a 60 gallon compressor soon. I do a lot of sanding on parts (me and my dad do). Painting racing mowers, and using a lot of air tools.

6. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Have a 26 gallon huskey with 5 HP motor. OODLES of air for a paint gun and impact wrench. I woulden't use a sander for long however. I use a 1 inch belt sander for blades, much better.

Cheers
    Jeff

7. Rizzo

Rizzo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

If you go to craftsman website you can see the required cfm for many tools. They recommend having a compressor with 1 - 1.5 times the tools cfm. If this is something you will be using daily for an extended period of time each day I would agree with BS and get a belt drive. They will be more expensive but will last forever. Other wise the direct drives work great and require little or no maintenance. If it's to loud, put it in another room....

8. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

I've got 2 compressors, a 60 gal which stays here, and then a 20 gal which can be moved around. If you want the best of both worlds I'd say get a ~30 gal on wheels and do what you can with it. My 60 is a FAR better machine than the 20, but if I need to be out on a project somewhere the 60 is a little hard to transport.

9. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

craftsman 30 gallon at the shop use that thing for everything...love it

10. kenmac

kenmac LawnSite Member
    from alabama

How many CFM'S do you need. The size of the tank has nothing to do with CFM'S. I have a 7.5 h.p. compressor with an 80 gallon tank that provides 25 CFM'S @ 100psi