What size BUOY should I get?????

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by lehrjetmx, Jun 14, 2007.

1. lehrjetmx

lehrjetmx LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

Hey need a little help with this one!!!! Here's the problem: I have a lake that feeds the customers irrigation system with a 3 inch pvc pipe for the feed line to the system. Well the buoy that held the pvc pipe in the water to keep it off the bottom. The length of the pvc pipe is about 50 feet? Nit sure if that helps and then does anyone have a suggestion on how to anchor it ashore?

2. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Why a float and not proped up off the bottom? Soft bottom? or solid? I have had good luck just putting soft suction lines inside a large bucket. 3" is to big for a bucket, but build a pod to hold the pipe off the soft floor and be done.

3. BPC

BPC LawnSite Member

I like the floats that look like a goose. Just keep the suction line 2ft or lower from the surface of the water and if possible the same min distance from the bottom.

4. lehrjetmx

lehrjetmx LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

The bottom is rock so its pretty solid. Just not sure of the depth of the pond? That was the only reason I was going for a buoy.

5. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

If the bottom is solid, then a cheap plastic 30gal trash can with the handles wired to the pipe so the foot valve doesn't hit the bottom of the can. Then sink the whole thing.

6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

How deep is this lake where the suction tube is?

I like to drive a stake into the bottom and tie the suction tube to it. High enough to avoid sucking muck, but low enough that boats can cross over it.