1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what size chipper should i get?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Oct 2, 2004.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i just recently cut down a very large tree with tons of limbs. i want to mulch them up and use on my property. my question is, what size chipper should i get? i'm looking at a 5hp with a 3" capacity. is that big enough or should i go larger? thanks for the replies..

2. lawnwizards

no replies??? surely someone can help me on this one....
  3. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

Don't waste your time on one of those. Get everything together from around property at once and rent a vermeer.

Just because it has a 3" capacity doesn't mean the engine will chip up a 3" branch. It would take a week for a decent size tree to chip.
  4. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldnt go with anything less than a 9", a 12" is preferable. It would literally take you weeks with a 3" like bushtrimmer said.
  5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

A 5Hp 3" is really only good for "twigs" and I don't think you'd be happy with that. As someone else said between that and renting I would rent a bigger one.
  6. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Rent one thats what I do every time I need one. Those little 5hp things will have you going nuts :realmad:
  7. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Get one big enough to do the job - Wow how difficult is that - you do not seem to be in the chipper job full time.
  8. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

Everyone is right - I've got a clean up job coming up that requires removing several vine maples in the 4 inch caliper range. Stopped by SunBelt today to check on rental prices. 6" inch chipper with a 25 horse Kohler runs $162 a day (includes equipment protection plan).
  9. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Depends on the size of limbs and how fast you want to get it done. Lots of smaller limbs use a drum style Altec, faster than a Vermeer or Morbark becuase there are no slow feed wheels but if doing large limbs you want a bigger capacity throat and that would be the Vermeer or Morbark territory. Don't bother with a small one.
  10. lawnwizards

no i'm not a chipping expert flex-deck. you jackass. if you would've read my post you would know that. quit trying to pad your post count with meaningless replies... Everyone else... thanks for the advice.