What size deck?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ahlab, Sep 29, 2005.

1. ahlab

ahlab LawnSite Member
    from OK

I just purchased a 5 acre plot and will be building a home on it in the coming months and I was wondering what size deck I need for this lot. I know bigger is better but can I get by with a 48" Scag Cub? I have a good line on a slightly used one. . .

2. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

yes.

probably take you up to a few hours, which is ok.

48'' decks are pretty versatile really, especially around tight areas etc.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well... I guess it depends on what your time is worth to you...

Or which you have more of.... money or time....

I'll be the first to say that I really like the 48" deck size for a lot of stuff, and it will cut a fair amount of grass in a good time. But 5 acres is a lot of grass. If you have the 'right' conditions (smooth ground, light cutting) it won't take long. But if not you could be talking half a day to do the property.

If you have a great line on it and the money is where you NEED it to be, then hey... beats doing it with a LOT of mowers. If not, and you don't have too many clearance restrictions, I'd suggest a 60" 66" or 72" mower.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I use the 48" proline Wb with a velke thou once I get up to an acre I can feel the drag, 45 mins./acre at top speed, still, the 48" is highly versatile.

5. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

If you were really in the business you wouldn't need to ask this question.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

48? Way too small (even with a velkie) unless you like mowing your yard all day Saturday.

7. brinlee lawn

brinlee lawn LawnSite Senior Member

where at in O.K. are you???? maybe we could help you out.

8. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

5 acre in OK, I would believe that to be flat.
    Are you in business and will you be using this to do anything else in business or just the house.
    With 5 acres and a house project upcoming I would look into a tractor and than get the widest mower to sit out back. The tractor will be used a lot more around the property than.

9. AboveTheCut

AboveTheCut LawnSite Member

I used to use a 48 wb with a velke on 3.35 acres and I thought it was borderline but then again, I was not sitting down. I now use a 52" Lazer and it seems fine but for 5 acres I would not use less than a 60"

10. ahlab

ahlab LawnSite Member
    from OK

Thanks for the insightful comment. . . :dizzy: