1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What Size Deck

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by turfwrangler, Aug 17, 2006.

1. turfwrangler

turfwrangler LawnSite Member

I was just wondering what size deck you all started with. I am looking into getting a eXmark w/ a 50" deck, will I have problems getting into back yards with that?
  2. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

depends on how wide the gates are.
  3. Frosty03

Frosty03 LawnSite Member

Heck, I started with a 36" TTHP.

I am still using that every day. Superb cut, gets in most backyards. If it won't fit (like older, narrow gates), then I use the 21" in the back, but only if it is a small yard.

If it's a larger yard, sorry, need a way to get my 36" in there. Heck, I had a customer put a wider gate in because he liked the cut of the 36" so much.

It is a good starting mower for those on a tight budget...like me. Cuts excellent too.
  4. LawnmanJ

LawnmanJ LawnSite Member

It all depends on how wide the Gates will be that you will be having to go through...If it were me I would start out with a 36" then move ur from there. Unless you know the areas good enough to determine whether a 50" will be fine. Just my .02

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

well we started with a 10 x 10 but that was way to small so we built a 16 X 32 with a little add on at the pond. Hope this helps-

OH wait you mean mower deck-- sorry
    Why do you need a 50 " deck-- or a 21" or even a 36"-- You need to fit the mower to the property, What size are your properties and what will produce the fastest production. If all your lots are the same than that question is easy-- But if you will be cutting all different size lots you will need different size mowers to produce the fastest time. If you are just starting out and do not know what you will be getting -- I feel the best mower (if your area is like mine) would be a W/B 44 inch-- but only because that was the most used mower for us- As far as gates-- 4 foot is a popular size yet most 48" decks will not fit-- so the 44 works well for that-- If you have a 36" mower and a lot of large lots, your time will suffer.
    We had 21"-- 36"-- 44"-- 48"-- and all the z's were 60". And there were still days that we wish we had something else:laugh:
  6. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

exmark makes a 50? Usually its 48 or 52, what model is this?
  7. turfwrangler

turfwrangler LawnSite Member

The eXmark I am getting is a Lazer Z HP, 50" 27 kohler
  8. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I started with a John Deere 727 54" Deck, but I also got a used (really good shape) Exmark Belt Drive Walk Behind 36" for the small gate back yards. It serves two purposes, back yards, and second mower on the job for when I have a helper.
  9. FyrFyt

FyrFyt LawnSite Member

Did you get that 27/50 Lazer HP? Hows it working out for you. I am looking at the same unit. What was your price?
  10. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

if u are going to get the 50" u will need to get a 21". i cant get in any gates with my 50" if u dint get a 50" id get a 36" walkbehind.