What size deck ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Jun 20, 2000.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Here's the story. I'm using a 21" Toro Commerical mower and my business has picked up since last season and this mower is just not getting the job done fast enough anymore. Most of my lawns are between 10,000 & 15,000 sq. ft. Biggest one is 28,000 sq. ft. So what deck size would you suggest for the lawns in question? Also would you buy a gear or hydro. I plan to use this machine for one or two seasons, then maybe move into rider. Budget is about $3000.00. Thanks in advance for your advice. Mowman

2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Most belt drives cost less than 3000.00<p>Since I charge by the job and not by the hour, I would go with the biggest deck possible.

3. My 44&quot; toro would be perfect. Comes with a<br>toro bagging kit also for just $1200 lying<br>eastern PA.<p>Put the $1800 you will save against a new ZTR in a few years. <p>Buy a two wheel stand on sulky for $300 and<br>save your knees. Plus you can't walk 5 mph all day.

4. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Lazer in that you should get the biggest deck possible. Gated back yards will be your only issue if you go larger than 36&quot;, but since you've been doing them with a 21&quot; depending on how many gated yards you have, no big deal. I prefer the hydro drive as opposed to the belt. Costs a bit more for the hydro, but with the hydro you don't have to deal with belt slippage on hills and when wet.

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I use a 42&quot; on my Walker which gets me into some large backyards that are gated. I also use a 44&quot; Toro hydro. If you can come up with a little more cash go with the hydro. Time is money.<br>BTW - my Toro dealer called me a month ago with closeout prices on the Toro above with a pull start for 2800. Probably all gone by now but if you look hard you might find something. <br>Before you buy - contact numerous dealers and ask if you can try the mower for a day. You are putting out good money and most dealers have demo units to use. Sometimes they even sell them. Good Luck.

6. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

My brand-new 36&quot; Exmark Hydro is slated to be in today. I'll let ya know what I think at that point. :)<p>I chose the 36&quot; deck because I take care of a *lot* of backyards with smaller/average gate openings. They say Great Dane has a 48&quot; deck that will fit through 36&quot; space, but I haven't seen it yet. Might be worth looking into if you want maximum time while fitting through minimum spaces.<p>Good luck!<p>-TGC

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If you intend to stay in the 10-15k yard size the 36&quot; should do you just fine. If you intend to do any cosmetic yard stripeing the 36 will make better looking yards than a wide cut anyway. Plus as you stated, you will be buying a ZTR in a couple of years.

8. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

I would go with the 48&quot; mower. A 36&quot; mower is good for gated areas. A 52&quot; mower is good also but if you plan to get a rider anyway save the money and get a 48&quot; belt drive. Runs about $2700 $2900 after taxes in my area NJ. What size rider do you plan to get and what brand?<br>Good luck hope that helps!!!<br>Travis AG&G Lawn Maintenance :)<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: AGG Lawn Maintenance