1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What size dump trailer?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by fiveoboy01, Jun 23, 2007.

1. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm sick of hand-unloading dirt, sod, brush, etc. Time to buy a dump trailer.

I just don't know what size I should get. I know bigger is better, but these are more pricey than your averege flat-bed landsacape trailer.

I was looking at 6x10 or 7x12 sizes. Are these just too small?
  2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I'd look for something in the 16 footer range or bigger if you can afford it. Just compare it to the size of the trailer you are currently using. You won't want to make more trips than you did before buying the trailer.
  3. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

14' will be fine with gvw of truck and trailer
  4. mowingtowing

mowingtowing LawnSite Member

I have a 14' with 6' sides, If i fill it to the top with mulch is it overloaded and if i put 4 yards of dirt in it its overloaded (technically). If you go much larger then 14' id say gooseneck is a must. Personally I find my 14' PJ (14k GVWR) to be a perfect match for my 99F350 dually diesel.
    7x12 would probably be great for your truck
  5. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

7x12 Is the perfect size. The 14' is just too long.
  6. Greybeard

Greybeard LawnSite Member

Our 7x12 Cross-Country dump works well with the F350 5.4. It's down-rated to 9990 lbs. GVW to beat the CDL regs, but it will carry more. Another decision is whether to get a low-bed with drop axles or the taller one with the body above the wheels. I'd recommend twin pistons, too, as sometimes loam or mulch sticks on one side, and the body can twist on a single piston.

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

We have one for sale 6X12 Bri Mar $2600.00. I have not had to get a chance to get pics but I will if interested.

ED'S LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

Are you going to use it to haul your mowing equipt too? If so get 14' or bigger, if not 7x12 is more than adequate I would think. I have a 7x12 and have not used it to it's full potential. Love that thing
  9. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

We have a 7x14 14,000gvw and it's a little rough on a single rear wheel truck. I'd lean toward the 7x12 or smaller unless you really need the extra capacity (or have a 1 ton or better truck).
  10. mverick

mverick LawnSite Senior Member

I use 80x14. Easier to balance a skid steer in then the shorter ones. If using a smaller truck put air bags on the truck and make sure and use good brake controller.