What size enclosed trailer should I get?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by StihlBR600, Aug 30, 2012.

1. StihlBR600

StihlBR600 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah ive been thinking about getting the 20 ft. Someone made a really good point yesterday and said the resale value of a 8.5 x 20 would be higher and be easier to sell because people could use it as a car hauler for their race cars, so im taking that into consideration. plus you cant go wrong with more room!

2. seabee24

seabee24 LawnSite Senior Member

I had the opertuity to own or run 7x12 , 7 x 16 , 8.5 x 20 8.5 x 24

the 7 foot wide is too small to walk though cleanly. everything does fit, but you have to jump over things to move around.

16 footer fit everything that we needed. it was cramped but everything fit. by fare the 16 foot was easy to drive around and I would not hessitate at all to let a new driver use it.

the 8.5x20 was great, everything fit, plenty of room. at the time my only complaint was that I couldnt get all my mowers, plus wheel barrow in it. (but we now have sperate crews, so thats not an issue) if you were going to bring a ZTR it could get a little tight with 3 other mowers. Driving wasnt super hard but for sure you had to know what you were doing and had to watch out.

8.5 x 24 - loved that trailer. I fit everything, and then it was so organized it was like being in supply room. Everything had its own spot, nothing out of place. tons of room. hauled a few cars in it even. didnt matter what mowers I had, heck even at one time put 2 pallets of brick inside, then my mowers to go to a job. had small skidsteer inside, dingo. It was really great. Huge con. - driving for me wasnt bad, but in no way should you let a new guy drive this. There where actually parts of town that I could not safely make turns and thus i avoided them, or parked half a block away.

on the driving thing- you would be surpised at the type of truck you are pulling it with will make more of a difference than the length of trailer. 11 foot dump with the 20 footer was harder than the 24 footer with a pick up standard cab.

3. StihlBR600

Yeah towing isnt going to be an issue for me so im not concerned about the length or weight of a larger trailer. I had one more question......for those of you that have an enclosed do you have spring axles or torsion? Would there be a noticable difference on the ride quality? I have torsion axles on my 14ft landscape trailer right now and it pulls great.

4. seabee24

seabee24 LawnSite Senior Member

The torsion seemed smoother to me, I did notice a big difference with 10 k axel set up. Vs. the standard 7k. Less tire wear, better brakes, and it seemed to pull better with the larger axel set up

5. juspayme

juspayme LawnSite Senior Member

get the 8.5 by 20 its only 2 ft longer than the 18 and trust you will need it in the future. get it lettered you will look like the king.

6. ParkWelding

ParkWelding LawnSite Member

Forget about leaf spring axles. Torsion is quieter, better tire wear and better ride.

7. StihlBR600

Ive decided on a 8.5 x 20 with 2ft V nose. I will be getting the 5200 lb. axle upgrade but not torsion axles. Came out to $5200. I will be ordering it in the spring hoping that the snow flies this year!

8. jones68

jones68 LawnSite Senior Member

what brand did you decide to go with?

9. Blades Lawn Maintenance

Blades Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Baton Rouge, La

Post some pictures when u get it lettered

10. scotts lawn care

scotts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats on the enclosed - you will love it. Sounds like a good size for you.