What size enclosed???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ParksLandscaping, Jan 26, 2003.

1. ParksLandscaping

ParksLandscaping LawnSite Member

I am going to be purchasing a new enclosed trailer this winter/spring. I am wondering what is the most popular length? I currently have a 20', but it always seems that we have way more room than we need. There are only three guys at the most per crew and they put all their equipment needed in and plenty is left. So I am wondering if I should go with a 18' or maybe even a 16'? Although I think 16' would be too small. Let me know what you guys are using. Thanks!

David A. Parks

2. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think 18' would be just right. You don't want to go with the 16' and not have enough room. Also if you have too much room in the 20'er just add a biff or something. :p

3. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Parks- Let me at least tell you why you havent had too many responses...
    You answer your own question. "We have way too much room" Well, get out there, measure how much extra room you have, and then buy a trailer that is that much smaller. Makes sense, right?

4. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

I would think that you would have no problem utilizing that extra room...a 20ft trailer for a 3-man crew and you still have extra space available. We use a 24ft for a 3-4 man crew & would love extra space but its just not worth the hassle of dragging something that much more big around. We've utilized just about all that we can for extra space

However if in fact you do just have too much room, do as Roscioli said and get out & take some measurements.

:blob3:

5. ParksLandscaping

ParksLandscaping LawnSite Member

I guess my original question was to find out what size enclosed trailer is the most popular amongst landscapers. I guess I will go with the 18' unless the cost between the 18' and 20' is so little to even bother with.

David A. Parks

6. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

got my first open trailer from these guys . when you order it you can have it made any way you desire. well whatever length you go with get the widest trailer possible.

im sure they a few dealers in your area

http://www.hhtrailer.com/

7. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

My trailer is 16', the extra 2' from an 18'er would be nice during aeration season, otherwise 16' works for me.

8. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a 20' enclosed and have a work bench I built in the front, Don't think I would want a smaller one.

9. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I got a 24' and I'm tired of dragging it around........thinking about going back to an open.

10. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

The width will make a big difference also. I looked at 7 and 7.5 by 16. Then went will a 8x16. I am able to carry two 60 ZTR and a 52 WB. I put a shelf up front and can carry 20 bags of fert also.