What size excavator are you using for Redi Rock?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mverick, Mar 6, 2008.

1. mverick

mverick LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering what size excavator I need to install the large Redi Rock. Looking at a few lake front walls in the water and would like to get by with my 8000lb 135 takeuchi. But, was worried it might not swing the 2500lb blocks in place. Just wondering what others have used.

Thanks

2. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

I used a block similiar to redi rock, same weight and my 6 ton Kubota 161 would lift it, but only close to the cab, no way you will get any reach with it, and definitely not a 4ton machine. You need at least a 9ton and even better a bit bigger. Good luck, and be careful

3. Swanman

Swanman LawnSite Member

I started a redi rock wall project last fall, but due to weather didn't finish up. It is a 7 course wall. My 341 can lift them but its maxed out. I must lift block with boom and stick fully retracted and then lift and slowly extend stick out. It can swing block 360 degrees but can only lift and set block over blade. Also i removed the bucket for weight reduction and chained directly to quick attach. Its working ok, anything smaller no way. 18000# would work awesome.

4. PAPS Landscape Design

PAPS Landscape Design LawnSite Member
    from us

my pc75 lifts them with no issue, its 19000 lb machine, even our pc50 does good with them and its a 12500 lb machine.