1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What size excavator for digging pools??

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by mrusk, Sep 24, 2006.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

If you were going to be digging alot of pools, both fiberglass and gunite, what size excavator would you buy?

Just curious.

Matt

2. 2004F550

2004F550 LawnSite Senior Member

id say a 12 ton would be plenty for pools, maybe even something with zero tail swing for tight areas

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Cat 5090. Why take more than one scoop?

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

You could get away with a 5 ton machine if you're not doing deep pools, but a 7 ton would be nice and a 12 ton would be ideal.

5. mrusk

Mostly i will only be digging fiberglass pools and most are only 6 ft deep.

Matt

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

You could do it with a 5 ton pretty easy.

7. mrusk

I guess a CAT 304 or 305 should work good.

Matt

8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

One thing to consider probably most pools will be in peoples back yard you might want to stick with a 161 Kubota sized machine it weighs 11,000lbs.

The only time I can see you running into problems with a smaller machine is if you run into large rocks. You might want to consider a machine with plumbing for a breaker and you may end up buying a small hoe pack.

9. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I would agree that you might want to stick with something in the 10-12 K range with zero tail if not zero swing as well. Tight areas would most likely be the norm. I would see no need to get anything larger. A 30X40X6 is only 266 yards of material. That is an easy day for a machine of that size and you can still move it around with a 3/4 to 1 ton pickup. I would also recommend that the machine be plumbed for aux. hyd. in case you needed a breaker or hoe pac or thumb.

10. mrusk

AHH my cat dealer has a mint 2005 305cr with 224hrs with full cab, and aux hy for 45k.... That seems like a smoking deal..
    Unless someone made a typo on the website!!
    Don't know if i want another payment going into winter though!!!

Matt