1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What size is best?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dylan54321, Aug 2, 2003.

1. Dylan54321

Dylan54321 LawnSite Member

I'm looking in to expanding my buisness and i need a new mower. I'm going to get a zero turn and I still havent figured on what size to get. I do mostly residential properties and some commerical. Should I get the 48 inch deck or the 52?
    Also, Which brand to buy?

Scag turf tiger 52" - 9,000 with tax
    Tiger cub 48"- 6,735 with tax
    Gravely 252Z - 6,900 with tax
    Gravely 148Z - I got a demo priced at 5,800 with tax (21 kawi 114 hours)
    Hustler Super Z 52" - 8,500 with tax

Out of these what do I do? Do i get a 52" or go with 48"? The Gravely 148Z seems to be a really good deal

2. mottster

mottster LawnSite Member

52 all the way. I believe anything below that should be kept to walk-behinds or Walkers. Seems a waste of money to get a big, bad machine then have a tiney deck that doesn't hardly stick out past the rear drive wheels....larger decks provide you with more trimmability and less time getting the entire job done. If you already have a 42"-48" mower i don't know why you would want another.

BTW, i'm looking at a Gravely 152Z for next year, myself.
  3. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

yep 52" is the happy medium. You get the best of both worlds with 52"
  4. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

oh yeh and go with the Scag TT Its worth the extra!
  5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I am assuming you are looking at the Hustler Super Mini Z, this unit has the 52" deck, and has great trimming capability due to the amount of deck offset on the left side.
    This will make you more productive due to less trimming with the weedeater.

6. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Personally I see no reason for anything less than a 60" deck to be on a belly mount machine. A 52" deck should be on a stander, walk behind, or walker.
  7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

We are heavily residential on my end. Pretty small to large customer properties. I own 36", 48" and 52" decks. I've tried 60" decks on our type of properties.

36" mower is a given for residentials, but for the most bang for the buck in residential the 52" is my choice. Since 2000 I've bought 2 Lazer HP 52" mowers.

In residential lawns some people do some very wierd things in their landscaping. Having to big of a deck will screw you up to much. So for us, the best all around deck is the 52".

As far as your choices listed above, the Hustler stands above them all. Very good company and excellent equipment. But before you buy check out the eXmark 52" HP. Demo all your choices on YOUR properties. This is extremely important. Who cares how it does on the dealers lot. Then make you choice. You can't go wrong if you pick which you like and works best for you.
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

we use both 52" and 48" mowers. The 52 works for residential well, but the 48 works better. I guess that it just depends on the type of lawns. I would personally go with the 52"
  9. Matt'slawncare

Matt'slawncare LawnSite Member

I would go GRAVELY all the way a very nice machine and built very well. If i was you i would get the PM 152Z w/ Kohler 25HP. The 252Z is $1000 more and all you really get is a faster machine the holds for fuel. But it all depends on how big the yards are and how fast you can go but it goes 10 MPH and thats fast for residential. I run a PM 260Z but i do mostly big properties.
  10. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Hustler Super Z 52", and never look back. I have a friend who uses it, the machine is excellent besides the awesome cut, tough stuff.

Don't get 48" Z then you will end up craving for something bigger as your biz grows. At first I was so much into 48" Z right after I got my 36" WB, but as time passed, hard lesson & experience learned from a 36" deck WB, I know that for a Z don't buy anything less than 52". I think for your business perspective which is pretty much similar to everyone here, if you get 52" you will not have that craving disease like those 42", 44" and 48" ZTR guys are suffering right now...buy the right size first and won't spend money twice.
    I know for sure I will get 52" Z when I feel ready financially to complete my setup 36" & 52".