What size ladder?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by B&B LAWN, Oct 13, 2003.

1. B&B LAWN

B&B LAWN LawnSite Senior Member

For you guys that clean gutters, what is the best size ladder to invest in?

2. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I have one of those folding ladders. It's 16' straight, or 8' A frame. Handy ladder, and stores away nicely (it folds all the way down to 4' high). Easy to transport too.

I won't do gutters on anything but single story homes, so I don't need anything bigger.

3. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on whether you plan on any two story work or need length to reach other than normal single story roof line.

Minimal would be a 16' ext. ladder, good for single story work.
    The 'articulating' type is handy if you can find a 16' capable, don't get a home owner version, keep shopping till you find a HD.

Next choice, 24' ext. ladder, will reach most situations for single story work, sloped grounds, a high pitch gable ends, etc.

Next would be a 28' ext. ladder. Will allow reaching 2 story work as long as ground isn't steeply sloped away. Unless most of your work will be 2 story, get this ladder (or one even longer) only if you really must, would be prudent to plan on a helper for handling this length also. This size starts to get pretty heavy and definitely awkward to handle.

Literally, one size will not work in all situations.

Other, unasked for ladder advise IMO.
    Whatever your ladder choice, Purchase the Heavy Duty version, I believe it's called 'Type 1A', 300# load limit (at least), there are a few with greater limits out there.

If you can afford it, go with a fiberglass ladder, for electrical safety issues. They do tend to be a little heavier.

Include in your ladder budget a set of 'stand-offs' for your ladder(s). Greatly increases stability and protects building, roof, windows, from ladder damage. Get the type with the large disks on the arms that will make contact with the building.

Look up 'ladder safety' on the internet and follow the tips you'll find there, you'll find valuable info. that should be followed. Ladders have no respect for man, beast, or building, and are frequent causes of damage to all, can easily become fatal if not respected.

Always THINK a step ahead of your PHYSICAL move, and think SAFETY FIRST!

4. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I generally use a 16' extension ladder for all my gutter cleaning. If I need to get to a second story, usually there is a garage to get up onto and go from there to the second story with the ladder.

5. B&B LAWN

B&B LAWN LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the replies guys, i think im going to go with the 24' ext. ladder