What Size Mower

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Lynch Landscaping, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Lynch Landscaping

Lynch Landscaping LawnSite Member

I am starting to get more and more lawns and this year I think that I need to upgrade to a bigger mower. I am very happy with the Exmarks so I would like to stay with them. I will be cutting 20-25 lawns this summer so can your help me pick the right size. If you have any other comments please post them.
    Lynch Landscaping

2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I am very happy with my 44" ZTR. It fits in all my gates, and fits on my trailer beside my 21" perfectly. Thinking about adding another 44" next season, and putting a mulch kit on one, and bagger on the other.

Exmark no longer makes a 44 inch. I would really look at a Dixon Ram 44 Mag. Gravely also makes a 44 inch, as does a few other companies.

3. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

has exmark quit there phazer;)

4. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

Any gates? What is your avg. prop size?

5. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

48" or 52" viking hydro. I am very happy with mine and since you already have the 32" you dont need something for gates. Unless you are tradeing in the 32"

6. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

If you keep your 32" for gated properties, a 48" or 52" walk-behind would probably be the way to go. You could also consider a 48" or 52" ZTR. but they are going to cost more. also, if you have to mow steep hills, you'd better stick with a walk-behind.

7. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

what a about a 60" tt it can just as much grass as a ztr and it can go places a ztr cant. imo that is the most versatile mower out on the market .

8. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I would get a 52" tt with a sulky of some kind. I would also keep the 32 for gates and small properties. You could also get the phazer with the new ultravac. I never heard that exmark quit making the phazer. On their website they say they added armrests for 07 so I figure they are still making them. http://exmark.com/phazer.htm

9. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

They also made a ultravac to fit it this year so it appears they are still making it.

10. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Sounds like a 52" lazer with the ultra cut double bagger is what you may want to look into. large enough for the amount of lawns you cut and you can sit instead of walk, yet small enough to not break the bank