1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What size of closed trailers do you use?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hoosier Mower, Aug 19, 2001.

1. Hoosier Mower

Hoosier Mower LawnSite Member

I'm looking to buy a enclosed trailer and was wondering what size you people that do have them recommend? I found a great price on 7x16 but not sure if thats big enough. I will have 2 ZTR's, a 21 inch and the regular hand tools in it. Any info. would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I suggest buying one much bigger than what you think you need. It's amazing how fast you outgrow them. My 8.5 x 26 is sometimes too small.
  3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I just bought a 24ft long Haulmark.
    So far it seems to be the right size for me.
    Heres a pic.
  4. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Very nice MC!
  5. BobbyBcuttin

BobbyBcuttin LawnSite Member

My first enclosed was a 8.5 by 20 i kept it 2 days and then traided it for a 8.5 by 18 i haul a 52 inch walkbehind 21 inch pushmower and a 61 inch ztr and all related items. It all fits very nicely once i bilt racks for all the hand tools and other items. I don't have much room for exspanion , i would recomend at least a 20 ft but i would stay away from the 8.5 wide trailers if you have very many smaller roads in your area.
  6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 8 1/2 x 24 and it's full. It is a load to tote around town every day but with the rain we've been getting lately it sure has been nice. I like the Haulmark! How well does the side door work? Don't buy a white one! Sure is hard to keep clean and the runoff from the rof will stain the white panels.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I always told myself that if I had a closed in trailer, that I would have to have atleast a 20 ft., but now, as I see the 24, it looks much more suitable for how I would want to set it up. The way things are looking, I may just have to purchase one for next year, as I don't know if I'm going to be able to find a place with a garage right away when I make this move. Also, I'm gonna need some GOOD ideas on how to secure a trailer like this, as it will DEFinitely have to be locked up. I don't know if I'll be able to cement a pole in like was discussed in an earlier conversation. (about last year at this time, I believe) If there was someway to lock up the harness hookup somehow, like enclose it in a case or something, the brakeway would certainly help hold it. Is there some kind of "Club" available for the wheels, does anybody know?
  8. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

a buddys trailer was broke in to all the theif did to get in was take a few bolts loose and the whole back door is laying on the ground.
  9. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Started with a home made open trailer for my used equipment, graduated to a used enclosed trailer (6 X 12 Car Mate) which worked well, problem with it was 'no brakes' and it tended to get a bit pushey at intersections on wet roads. Current trailer is 7X16 Wells Cargo with the Landscaper package (lots of brakes on the dual axels). Love it, carries a Toro ZHP, Toro 52 walk behind, Toro 21" trim mower and the rest of the tools NEEDED for proper lawn care. room inside is adequite if the collection systems are not installed on the big mowers, if the vacuum is installed on the HP it gets a bit tight inside but will still work. I doubt that I will outgrow this trailer as I am a 1 man show with no intention of hiring any employees.

Good Luck
  10. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking at getting a 7x16 next year. I have a 6x12 open trailer now, but I want room to move around. What's a good price and what brands should we stay away from?