1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What size of power washer ?

Discussion in 'Power Washing' started by mbigred, Sep 3, 2012.

1. mbigred

mbigred LawnSite Member

What size and what kind to use to wash mowers,house"s driveways, ect? with only a HONDA eng and is the CAT pump the best? what size of PSI ? I now a 3000 but I need more than that ? any help needed.:confused:
  2. Roof Cleaning Virginia

Roof Cleaning Virginia LawnSite Member

The key thing for speed (ie productivity and profitability) is the GPM of the machine. General speaking, more is better. However, once you surpass 4-5 GPM, you'll need a buffer tank. 3000 PSI is fine for most applications; in fact, you can turn it down and run less most of the time.

I'd stay away from direct drive units although a gear reduction unit would be ok. Honda engine, belt drive and a high GPM is what I'd look for. That's exactly what we use.
  3. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

most residence will give you 4 gpm's. after that you need a tank also
  4. Propowerwash

Propowerwash LawnSite Senior Member

Residential 3000 3500 is Plenty of PSI, you can start with 4 or 5 if you want. 6 is preferred . You will be fine starting with a 4. Honda is ok, get a General AR or Cat pump.
  5. weaver

weaver LawnSite Bronze Member