What size patios do you recommend....

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mrusk, Mar 7, 2007.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I'm designing a job right now. I got a ruff budget of around 80k to work with. I am trying to come in at that amount. So i am trying to make sure i make the most out of the decking.

I am putting in a 29x15 raised patio. Its 420 sq feet. On the plan it seems alittle tiny. Is this your average sized patio?

This is a new house. It is one of the 1st times i have had the chance to go in and design everything from nothing. I think i got a really good design, just want to make sure i am not skimping to much on the decking.

Matt

2. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

Matt it seems a little on the small size for the budget you have if it is all allocated for hardscaping. you could definitely go bigger and still be pretty elaborate for that budget. this was about 1200sf for kinda of a size comparison.

P1010169.jpg

3. mrusk

McKee- This is including the pool.

4. McKeeLand

gotcha, still you can still do a pretty big patio for $25k-$30k if you want. or you can go more detailed and stay small. i still think 800sf would be more of where you want. we always start at 400sf and try and go bigger, especially on a raised patio where if you step off the edge trying to get around aunt Bertha's chair you fall off. not an issue with on grade patios more room is always better.

5. mrusk

Trying not to go over 20k on the patio.

Here are some pics of what i am looking at doing. Block will be techo mini creta mixed with 6in creta.

toll_001.jpg

toll_002.jpg

toll_003.jpg

6. McKeeLand

well you have a lot of SF on the pool deck so you raised patio Sf is not as critical. the design looks good. what do you do you designs with?

7. mrusk

pool studios made by structurestudios.com Runs 95 bucks a month to subscribe to.

Not counting the pool coping i have 550 sq ft of decking between the walkway and the pool decking.

8. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think it's very easy to give a "correct" size of a patio. In your design process you need to first and foremost take into consideration your client's lifestyle and what it is they're trying to accomplish with their new living space. Do they entertain on a regular basis? DO they have kids? Or are they going for more of an intimate area for a small group of people say give or take 4 people? How about the overall site? Is it large or small? What other activities will be going on around the area? Size of house and it's architecture? We do patios anywhere from 150 SF all the way up to 2500 SF each with it's own requirements and function.

It seems as if your design will work well given the photos you've shown. One question.....why have you left one side of the pool with just a coping and not a full border of pavers at an equal width??? Budgeting? I think it would look better IMO to fully frame the pool rather than leaving the one side unfinished. That and from a maintenance stand point you would have a buffer between your grass and the pool, maybe keeping clippings a bit more at bay from becoming swimmers in your agua.

9. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

420?
    29x15=435
    does it look tiny now?

10. mrusk

I bumped the patio up to around 550 feet. The house is about 4500 sq feet. So i think anything smaller really would look ridicoulous. But i will price it out both ways for the customer.

I only want to put decking on the 3 sides. I did extend the 2 sides out another foot so it meets flush with the coping on the back side of the pool.

I am going for a certain look.

Matt