1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What size paver walkway????

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by STL Ponds and Waterfalls, Aug 6, 2007.

1. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the typical width of the paver walkways you guys do with a 6x9 soldier course paver? I prefer the look of 4-5ft, but that can get pricey for a lot of people.

2. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

unless it is a very formal main entrance walk and can support the width, most of our work is in the 3.5 to 4.5 width

3. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I almost refuse to do a front walk under 5 feet. I just did 2 at 6 and 6.5 and they look unbeliveable!

Run the #s, it really does not cost that much more to make the walkway 1 foot wider.

4. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

A walkway should be a minimum of 5' to allow two people to walk side by side. A pathway can be anything less, like a path to the backyard or driveway. The more impressive the entranceway, the more impressive the walkway should be. I have seen more than my share of 3' pathways to front doors and they look ridiculous. If you are going to use a 6"x9" soldier course, it looks best on a wider walk, at least 5'. If you must go smaller, consider a sailor course for a better flow.

Kirk

5. Humble Earth Mover

Humble Earth Mover LawnSite Member

Think about exposed pattern. Anything under 4 feet and I do a sailor course. Depends on the room to play with. In some developments where the front door is less than 20 feet from the driveway, I don't go super wide, especially with a serpentine walk. When you throw in curves and flairs, you need a nice long run to do 5' wide and have it look good. I remember my first paver walk I did at 42" wide and used a 6x12 soldier course, man did that look dumb!

6. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

LOL my first walk looked kinda dumb too. I could not figure how that i should have a equal grade from the driveway to the stoop.