What size skid loader to move stone pallets?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by PerfiCut L&L, Oct 8, 2008.

1. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L LawnSite Senior Member

We are looking to pick up a skid loader which can lift pallets of stone 2000-3000#. Many of the manufacturers list their unit specs as Operating Capacities, most in the 1700-2300 range. Some list their tipping capacities, again, varying from 2700# - 4500#.

Obviously we wouldnt want to use a machine with the lower end ratings, but I figure a mid to upper end model would suffice. I would like to pick up a JCB, but am willing to consider just about any make or model. Personaly, I would like to stay away from the bobcats (personal experience reasons) .

Just looking to see what unit(s) and models everyone is using and what their real life limitations are.
  2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I have a CASE 465 that we do our heavy lifting with. Very stable at full ROC. I would try and find a machine in the Over 3000 ROC range. This would be CASE 95XT/465, Gehl 7200 series, Deere 328, and NH L190. These are all wheeled machines. If you are looking for a CTL there are others. JCB does not have a machine in this class.
  3. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Bobcat S250-330
    Cat 256C-272C

Those are the wheeled ones I know of.
  4. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

BOBCAT S330 :weightlifter:
  5. Canon Landscaping

Canon Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

My deere ct 322 will unload 3500lb pallets easy.
  6. Hollowellreid

Hollowellreid LawnSite Senior Member

I unload 3500# + pallets of pavers, bluestone, etc with a 1845c regularly. It's tippy as can be and kind of scary, but basically gets the job done...

I think they are only rated for 1700 lbs or so.
  7. MRBsx2

MRBsx2 LawnSite Member

I run a deere 250 and it lifts any stone pallet fine takes off of trucks and can load back on truck the only pallets it has trouble with are the 85lb heavy wall block pallets other then that the machine is strong...Next time i get a new skid though i am going to get the bigger model prolly the 325. i do a lot of natural stone work and block and brick and the skid lifts those pallets fine
  8. pieperlc

pieperlc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Our 252B cat will lift 3000 lbs on and off trucks easily. I think its ROC is 2500 lbs. I know it won't lift two pallets weighing 2600 lbs. each. I tried the other day just to see if it could do it. I could slide them around but not lift the far end off the ground.
  9. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

How many weights are hanging on the back? There is alot in town with tractor weights bolted to the rear door(jd green is not complimentary).

My 70XT with VTS picks stuff big time.
  10. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

What about buying a dedicated offroad forklift if all your doing is unloading skids of paving stones.