What size to get, 52 inch or the 60 inch?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by blake101, Mar 11, 2012.

1. blake101

blake101 LawnSite Senior Member

You guys are blowing my mind, okay here is the deal I told the dealer that I wanted the Lazer Z X series 52 inch cut with the 27 hp kohler and that I would pick it up in a few days. For 600.00 more dollars I can get the 60 inch deck with a 29 kaw, bigger tires, bigger engine, bigger pumps. I currently mow with a 48 inch Turf Tracer which I plan on keeping. I thought about it and can use the 60 on every yard except may be 3, my average yard is between 10,000 - 13,000sq feet. A few smaller and a few bigger. Would the 60 inch be worth my time or is it going to be to big for my needs and cause more problems than it is worth? I won't the kaw engine and the big tires but not sure if it would cause more head aches. Need input.....

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Only you can answer that question yourself.

3. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

if you are keeping the turf tracer, for 600 bucks more I would upgrade to the better engine, bigger pumps and bigger deck. When you would have used the 52 you break out the 48.

4. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'd save the $600.

there isn't that much of a diff between a 52" and a 60" deck.

but on the flip side there isn't much diff between the 48" you have and a 52" deck. more of a diff going from a 48" to a 60".

like one said. only you can decide that.

5. 944own

944own LawnSite Bronze Member

The 52 has smaller tires, smaller frame, and smaller pumps. Go for the 60 and dont look back thats what I did and at first thought I should have got the 52 but have been real happy with the 60.

6. lawnpropm

lawnpropm LawnSite Senior Member

I've been thinking the same thing. I have a 48 and a 36 and do mostly residential and a few small commercial. There are some times I wish I had a 60. In my opinion a 48 and a 52 there's not much difference but a 60 is a bigger/better jump. $600 you will make that back on the time u save mowing and the amount of yards you can knock out in a days time. 10,000k ft2 properties and up I say go for it and grow into it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

bigger isn't always better and sometimes a waste of money.

I do just fine with my 52" grandstand which has like a 19hp engine.

I certainly don't need a bigger frame, tires or engine. that thing has NEVER given me problems.

he probably is smarter to go with the 60 for the sole fact that he has a 48" mower already. not so much because it has bigger tires, frame and pumps.

8. lawnpropm

lawnpropm LawnSite Senior Member

Right he already has a 48 so adding a 52 is almost pointless unless you just refuse to run a 60 or properties have a ton of obstacles
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Senior Member

You are comparing much different machines as well. Your machine ways much less, meaning you will not have the impact on the ground.

As for which machine to get...I would get the 60" considering you already have a 48" for the narrower gated areas. I would only do it enough if you would be able to take advantage of the extra size. If it will have to sit on the trailer most of the time then that is no good.

10. blake101

blake101 LawnSite Senior Member

The main reason for getting a new mower is that my hands are killing me, my arthritis is really starting to act up, and my hand will hurt for days when I mow. I don't mind using it, just can't use it everyday all day. That is why I won't a Z, to give my hands and back a break. There really isn't much difference between a 52 and a 48, but when you go to a 60 it is. Still trying to decide.