What size tractor do i need

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by FirewoodINC, Aug 16, 2006.

1. FirewoodINC

FirewoodINC LawnSite Member

i'm going to start bush hogging land and i was wonder what size tractor and bush hog i should get?

email me @
    deerefarmer5003@hotmail.com

2. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Boy, heres a question you can get dozens of different answers for.

Personally. I wouldnt go with less than a 45hp 4x4 tractor and a 6 ft bushhog. 4x4 can be optional as long as you arenot planning on any steep stuff. I know lots of people that use smaller machines, but time is money if you plan on doing lots of mowing. One of my neighbors has a 37hp kubota and tries to pull a 6ft bushhog, when the going gets really ruff, he gets my other neighbor with a 85hp JD and 8 ft mowing machine to to do the job. My brothers 4610 SU ford pulls a 6ft mower just fine. I have never had a mowing machine hooked to my 65hp NH tractor.

3. mowingguy

mowingguy Guest

Our rule of thumb has always been 8 hp per foot of brush hog. Five foot brush hog equals 40 hp. -SL

4. I use a 6' mower behind a 40 HP tractor, an 8' mower behind 60 HP, 15' behind 90 HP and 20' behind 125 HP. All work well in most all conditions. 40 and 60 HP tractors stay the busiest.

5. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

6' Deere heavy duty mower on the back of a 4610...my buddy...also my Lawnsite picture has a 4700 with a 6'MDX....GREAT mower...he's got a Rhino double blade 8' on a JD 4020 too...i dont like it as much, i would stick to the single rotor mower, when you get a double rotor you start to run into skipping, especially if you mow pastures and fields

6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

My New Holland TC-33DA runs my 5' Bush Hog Squealer like a champ. But, if I was bush-hogging a whole lot, I'd listen to Muddstopper. 45hp with 6' would be outstanding. And whatever you do, make sure you do get 4X4 and at least R4 industrial tires. Have fun:)

7. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

tell us what you are bush-hogging. 8 hp/ft might be fine for some, but i run 6 ft on the back of 83hp and sometimes i wish for more. i also run a 6 ft Brown Treecutter on the back of a NH tb 110. that is fun!!! back into a tree and watch it fall like you are cutting grass. it does make a hell of a noise.!!!!!!!!!

8. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I agree with everyone else on the 4-wd. Thats a must have IMO. As far as what size tractor you need depends soley on what size cutter you want to pull. If your really serious about bushhogging and are planning on doing some big lots then I would recommend a 15' flex wing. I would recommend around a 75 hp tractor for that to really pull it good. Our 6200 JD pulls it great. for a 20' cutter 90 hp works good for us. Our 6420 JD has almost as much power as our 7410 in my opinion when hooked to the 20'.