What size trailer do I need?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, Jun 29, 2007.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

What size trailer would fit 2-36 wb's and 2-21's? A 5x8 wouldn't hold all that would it? I'm thinking at least 5x10 or 6x10 for this am I right? I'm planning on next year and trying to stay away from something I may need to sell right away.

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

well if you decide to upgrade your equipment, then you mine as well get a bigger trailer then you need. maybe a 14 footer.

3. green-pa

Well right now I only have the 21inch but plan on getting a 36wb in the next week or two, that will be it for this season I expect. Which I 5x8 would work for that. But next year I plan on having like either 2-36wb's and 2-21's or a 36 and 48wb and 2-21's. 14 ft would be a bit much just to finish out my first year and start me on my 2nd wouldn't it? I'm looking for something around $500 anyway so I'm sure I couldn't find a 14ft at that range.

4. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

If I were you and it is in budget I would go with a 6X12. Easy to sell If and again I say if it dont work out for you.

5. green-pa

What if I did just get a 5x8, that would hold 2-36wb's right? But would it be much trouble to get the 21 in out of the truck bed? How long would it take and would I have to disconnect the trailer to access a small mower from the truck? Or would that take several minutes and not be worth it? Please excuse my ignorance on this subject cause I've never owned a trailer. It seems that 6x12's are twice the price of 5x8's!

6. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I'm not sure about the length, if a 10 foot trailer would hold two 36"s, one behind the other. If you have ramp gates they might not go up.. but anyway I can add this.

I have a 5x10 trailer (my first trailer) and I also have a 36" toro and a couple 21 mowers. It's an awkward size. The trailer should be 6 ft wide then I could slide the 21" mowers up along side the 36.

If it was 6 ft wide you could put two 36's one behind the other and two 21's along side, one behind the other.. I'm just not sure about the length I'm almost sure that it's too short though, for two 36's. IF YOU HAVE RAMP GATES.

I would say if you want two 36's and two 21's get a 6x12 trailer.

7. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

No not Toro's anyway unless you were turning them sideways and I don't think you will want to do that.

Maybe two quick 36's would fit.

You're smart. If I had the forethought to ask questions, I would probably have been steered to buy a trailer that is 6 ft wide. On my 5 foot trailer I can't fit a 36 and 21 side by side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. rubiconlawn

rubiconlawn LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Hey Green Pa,

Good luck buddy, as sincere as you are I bet every yard you leave is just about perfect! Your customers are lucky to have you.

I recently started out and got a 6 x 12, it would easily hold 2-36's & 2-21's.

Spend just a little more, get a WHOLE LOT MORE! Room for a trash can, gas cans, racks for trimmers/edger on one side, rake/shovel/broom/blower on the other without running the whole length of the trailer (you can get in and out over the side), room to move around all that stuff...

What if in the future you want to run a 48"z, 36"wb, 21"wb and various misc equip? I'll be able to, will you with a 4 x 8 or 5 x 10?

Got mine brand new $995, square tube railing and split ramp (new tires also). I realize thats more than what you are budgeting but maybe this will open your thoughts to a different set of possibilities.

Plus, when you pull up to an account, I think prospective clients notice small things, no sleeveless t-shirts, clean equipment, no rinky-dink equipment. This isn't a slam on anyone, so peace*trucewhiteflag* , this is just my opinion, I'm just trying to help Green Pa best I can.

best wishes
    Rubiconlawn

9. green-pa

That's a nice one u got there! Unigue color too!

10. green-pa

Thanks for the advice. I would like to get a 6x12 but I may just have to settle for less. It sounds like that would be the best though or at least 6x10.
    I actually use sleevless ( or muscle shirts) and have gotten compliments on them. THis heat is too much to be wearing T's in and then having em with big ol sweat stains under the arms-yuck. I've had a few customers tell me it would be ok if I take my shirt off, but then maybe that's cause I'm a practicing fitness trainer also...lol