What size trailer do I need

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by JohnnyRoyale, Jun 9, 2008.

1. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking to pull a Jacobsen Hr5111 and a Kubota ZD 331 on a single trailer. I havent measured the two, but combined lengths from spec sheets put me just over 19 ft. I would like to buy a 22 ft (to be safe), tandem trailer w/ minimum 5000 lb axles, and need one ASAP, but nobody carries this size. Does anyone move this combo on a 20 ft? I could get by with the 20 ft if i could put the ZD deck under the Jake's rear end. I dont have both units here right now to measure accurately, as one is in the shop. I have found lots of 20 footers i could buy, but 22 footers are at least 2 weeks away at this point. Your help is appreciated.

2. mattb84

mattb84 LawnSite Member

See if you trailer dealer will take the trailer to the mower dealer just to be sure. My experience is that any amount of length you can save is less headache.

3. JohnnyRoyale

I thought of that-and I'll probably have to, to avoid any further guesswork.

4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

unless you actually need a trailer just a foot or two longer. ;)

5. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

I realize that you may not have time but have you considered flat decking one mower on the truck and towing the other mower behind? We've got this going with a 9 and a half foot truck deck and a 12 foot trailer handling a JD 757 on deck and a JD 997 behind the truck. Ramping goes from truck deck to trailer deck to trailer ramps. . . Just something to think about.

6. JohnnyRoyale

Thing is I dont have a flat deck or something that will accomodate that left in my fleet. I'm trying to max out my existing trucks (which are pickups). But eventually, when its time to replace trucks, and I finish getting out of snow removal, I'll no longer buy pickups, and I'm seriously considering replacing them with fuel efficient crewcab cab overs with extra long decks and ramps, and use the trailers for something else or sell them. I personally hate trailers, but they're a necessary evil in this biz and now I'm onto trailer number 10.

7. heather lawn sp

Further thoughts

Our first flat deck (actually a flat bed dump body) was scrounged from a scrap yard from a similar make and model as our K2500 pick up. A little bit of bolt cutting and fitting and our pick up became a flat deck. The second flat deck was a new conversion of a pick up truck. Our fabricator build us a truck body to fit the pick up frame. Would be the load and licencing requirements of the HR 5111 and the 331 be over the capacity of the pick-up trucks?

8. JohnnyRoyale

They'd weigh in at approx 6000-6500 lbs combined

9. heather lawn sp

We're doing ok with 5700 lbs of trailer and load with a diesel pick-up. That's a 16' footer a M655 and a 997 with the first mowing unit. Can your load be handled with a landscape style trailer, or are you up to floats and dually trucks? This is one of the reasons we stayed out of batwing mowers and stayed with the big Z's, speed and simplicity of deployment. Most of the landscape trailers seem to stop at 7000 lbs GVWR. A trailer the size you need would top 1700 lbs. Are you in the next level up with this configuration? Most of the batwings around here are municipally owned and road run site to site.

10. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

what kinda hook up are you wanting? bumper pull, pintle hook, gooseneck?