What size trailer would be best?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mowinginva, Feb 13, 2008.

1. mowinginva

mowinginva LawnSite Senior Member

We have a 60" zero turn rider, a 48" ztr wb, and a 21" self propelled. Do you guys think a 14' or 16' would be best? We'd like to have a little room to breath also.

2. tyaroch

tyaroch LawnSite Member
    from MI

16', unless your truck can't handle the extra weight. Nice signature!

3. mowinginva

What do you think about a 14' with a side gate? In our area, it may be a bit more tedious to run a 16', though we are not against it. Our truck should haul it fine.

4. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

I can fit my 20' trailer anywhere I need to. I can back it into a dead end street when I have to. All depends on what are you pulling with it, how much equipment you need to take with you, and how much extra room you really need. What do you plan on using the side gate for? Will it fit the 60" or 48"? I prefer to keep my heavier equipment on or behind the axels.

5. mowinginva

If we had a side gate, we would put the JD walk behind on that way and park it sideways. Somebody did mention the strength issue with side gates. Yea, I don't really know that a 16' would be that much more trouble than a 14'. Thanks

6. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

18 ft. is what you need

7. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

16' is the way to go.

8. mowinginva

Do any of you guys use those boxes built up above an open trailer in the front? Do you like them?

9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Yes If I was gonna do 14 or 16.....go 16 feet you can do the equipment you have and still have some room to spare....yes I have the open box on the front edge of my trailer....great for small gas cans or even a 5 gallon can, hand blower, occasional hand tools

wayne

10. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I went with a 14' single axle, and now am shopping for a 16' dual axle. I found a 16' which is also a little bit wider than any 14' I have seen.

Size matters.