what size trailer?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by DownSouth, Jun 25, 2005.

1. DownSouth

DownSouth LawnSite Member

i was wondering what size trailer i would need to haul around 2 wb's and all of the other equipment (2 trimmers, edger, blower, pressure washer, etc.) also ill have a truck so i can put extra stuff in there but i would like it if i could keep it all on the trailer. approx what size would i need for this? and how much would a good used trailer run me? thanks

2. fishinman22487

fishinman22487 LawnSite Member

Well are you talking bout 2 21" walkbehinds or bigger???

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would get the biggest trailer you can afford. If you think you can "get by" with a 14 footer, you can't next year. I jumped from a 10' to an 18', I still wish it were bigger. I just started with a WB then got a ZTR. You need to plan for the future. It's cheaper to buy bigger now than to buy small, trade in, then buy larger!

4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

You never can get a big enough trailer. I had a 5x8, then a 6.5x14 and now a 7x16 enclosed. And thats not big enough. When I can come up with $10,000 for a new 8 by 20 wells cargo enclosed with the landscaper package. That will be sitting in the driveway.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No, no, no. A 21" is not a wb.

Here's the definitions for commercial lawncare mowing machines:
    Pushmower: Any 20" or 21" or so small lawnmower, they are ALL called pushmowers, yes, even self-propelled ones.
    Walk-Behind or wb: The Midsize commercial mowers that have decks from 30" to 60" with sizes in between, 32, 36, 40, 44, 48, and 52" I think. They are those big machines you see the guys running around in the shopping centers and even thou they are rideable and Zero-Turn CAPABLE, they're all called Walk-behinds and walk-behind only, not zero turn.
    Zero-Turn, Zero-Turn Rider or ZTR: The largest of the commercial mowers, they are Ride-only and highly Zero-turnable with controllers that operate the machine much like a tank.

Far as trailers, I've had a 6x12 for 4 years and want a smaller one so when I go grass-cutting I'm not hauling 300-400 pounds of empty, dead weight. The 6x12 is big enough to haul up to 5 cu.yds. of whatever, it's only restriction is weight (topsoil and gravel is a max. of 2.cu.yds. because it's too heavy).
    Unlike some LCO's who like to haul the entire store with them, I prefer to leave everything I do not need back at the house, mainly because I really enjoy my 14+ mpg AND I don't got all this junk I don't need with me (less stuff can get stolen as well). An empty truck + trailer outfitted to do ONLY the work scheduled for the day looks clean and highly professional, IMO.

For grass-cutting, a 5x8 is enough but unless you can ALSO afford the larger 6x12, you'll have to do like me and settle for a one-for-all trailer and in this case, the bigger the better while keeping fuel-mileage in mind.

6. DownSouth

the wb's are both 36's and i am just hauling the trailer for cutting grass and other basic lawn services so i dont need anything to big..jus something big enough for my mowers,

anyone have any idea how much these usually cost used?

7. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I think a 6x12 single axle would work well for you. I use a 6 x12 tandem to carry a 36 and 52" walk behind. If I take the sulkies off I can fit a 36, 48 and the 52. How much weight do you plan to haul? Make sure the load you will be carrying won't be more than the trailer is rated for.

8. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

You can never have to much trailer.

I have an 8 x 20 now and every now and again I wish for 2 more feet.

9. DownSouth

yeah ill make sure to get one that can hold the weight