what size trailer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by littlepopelp, Mar 3, 2002.

1. littlepopelp

littlepopelp LawnSite Member

hi everyone, iam 16 years old and mow about 25 lawns and have a 48in bobcat a 33in troy bilt (pos) and 2 toro push mowers and weed wackers, blowers....ect. im not sure what size trailer to get i really want a 6x12 (weighs 750lbs.) but i only have a 1996 4 cylnder s10 which has trouble hauling its self already. what is the biggest size size trailer do you think i could get with out hurting my truck and also being able to pull the trailer on the highway. i will be putting around 1000-1500 pounds on it. thanks for the advice im hoping to get
  2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

welcome to lawnsite! a s-10 can handle a 6x12 with a mower or two on it and a few push mowers no problem, after that u might be getting into trouble. Also try the search, many people of all ages have asked this question reguarding what a 4 cyl truck can pull.
  3. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone will tell you that pulling is not always the problem...you also need to be able to stop the load. Be sure to get brakes on the trailer.
  4. plow kid

plow kid Banned

I hate to turn this into a pissing match but I have to, Have you ever driven a Chevy S~10 Scott? or drove one with a 6.5x16' tandem landscape trailer? or a 6x12 that you "recomend" ?

I own a 87 S~10 with the 2.5 inline four cylinder 4 speed stick 4.56 rear axle ratio. (for towing) I have pulled a 6.5x16' tandem axle landscape trailer with mine and the trailer had a 3000 pound load on it. A S~10 is not a race truck, it will get the job done if you keep the engine in it's peak power rpm range 2800-4900 rpm brakes on a trailer are a must, get them on both axles. They (s-10's) can handle a 6.5'x 14' if it has tandem axles with brakes on both axles. They are good trucks, but I am glad that I bought a 1 ton last week. Just the assurance that I can stop a 16' landscape trailer with 6000 lbs on it without trailer brakes if they stop working was worth the cost of the truck. ~NaTe
  5. There is the best thing I have seen written in a while.

S10 4 banger it will, but how much insurance do you have?

Read this, we are having a trailer weight discussion.

6. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

nate, whats up with all the personal attacks? every post i have made lately u have to come back with a personal attack? this guy posted the question asking our advice, i gave it. CAN YOU PLEASE STOP WITH THE ATTACKS?

PRECISION LC LawnSite Member

what ever size you buy, you should be able to haul it. i bought some after-market horsepower boosters, and some helper spings to haul more wiehgt.
  8. Pardon the interruption, but what is an after market horsepowers booster?

PRECISION LC LawnSite Member

anything that can increase you horsepower. For instance i have a K&N FIPK air flow system(16hp & 18 tq gain), ADS horsepwer chip (25hp & 30tq gain), FlowMaster Exhaust (12hp & 15tq gain). This is basically anything you can add to your truck to get more horsepower and torque.
  10. Hahahaha, I thought you ment like a B&M roots blower. LMAO.