What size trailer?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by fireman608, Aug 10, 2009.

1. fireman608

fireman608 LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I have been looking at utility trailers for a while. I was wondering what size you recommend. Single or double axle? I plan on cutting grass next year and need a trailer now so I figured I would get one that I could use for lawnmowers. Probably start off with one 60" commercial. May eventually move up to two mowers or a walk behind. I figured on a tandem axle 6'x12'. What do you think? Thanks.

2. Hoy landscaping

Hoy landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

go 7'x12' for more room loading and stuff

3. Daniel's Lawn Care

Daniel's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

With a 7'x12' you don't need a double axle, mine is a Holmes single axle 7'x12'.

4. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Double axle would be best, it gives you more payload capacity. I have also found out that if you have a flat tire on a tandem axle, it allows you a little more time to repair the tire, since you have 2 axles and 1 would still be perfectly fine, so you wouldn't have to change out that flat on a busy highway. I would also suggest at least a 7x14, just to give you some extra room to grow.

5. GraZHopA

GraZHopA LawnSite Senior Member

Trailers are like garages and computers. You can't have one too big. Buy as big as you can afford and grow into it.

6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 12' single and regret not getting a 16' double. Time to swap up!

7. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Go with a 14ft trailer thats got a 7k axle on it. It'll be less tire scrub/wear and easier to pull.

I got two tandem axle trailers one open one enclosed and I am replacing trailer tires ever 3 months. And I'm not overloaded, just pull a Z and a stander.

8. TreeClimber57

TreeClimber57 LawnSite Member

Well it depends. Depends on what? Well, what are you towing it with, do you have or plan to use electric trailer brakes? If you plan to grow, or think there is even the slightest chance, and you can use brakes, then go big as suggested. Double axle, and around 7 X 16 is a good trailer I have found. But if going that big, you can put a lot of weight on it (I think mine are rated around 7000 lbs GVWR) and trailer brakes are recommended!

9. fireman608

fireman608 LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I've checked prices on a tandem axle 6x12 $1399 6x14 $1449 w/o brakes. There's another place I am going to call in a little while. I agree you also need to go bigger. Thanks for all your help.

10. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

a tandem axel would be the best but a single will do just fine