What size trailer?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by hall1000, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Robert Pruitt

Robert Pruitt LawnSite Senior Member

I used a 6x12 for years. finally bit the bullet and got a 16ft. now wished i would have went with a 18ft. the 16ft. gets a little cramped in plugging season with equipment for plugging and mowing on the same load.

2. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

I refuse to go any longer than 12ft.I have issues now turning it around with my Long bed truck in tight spots.My next move up is a Landscape truck.8ft wide 18ft long.

3. Robert Pruitt

yea i know what you mean. I don't have a long bed but bent two right side wheels before i got use to it. guess i can blame it on the engineers that designed the narrow roads in this city. my tax $$ at work.

4. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 6x14 single axle that works good. It is the biggest you can get before moving up to a tandem.

5. hall1000

hall1000 LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone I think i am going to get a 6x12 trailer. I hope it isn't to big and i can handle since it is my first trailer. I hoping that i will be fine backing it up with that big of a trailer.

6. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

The bigger the trailer, the easier it is to back up...I can back up a 16' like nothing but I'd probably struggle with a 12' single axle...

You'll be okay, just be careful. Use your mirrors and don't lose the trailer in your mirrors.

7. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

My first 2 years I ran with just the truck I could get 2 48'' walkbehinds in my full size bed. When I got up to 35 -40 customers the trailer and zero turn were bought in my 3rd year. I bought the 16'' it held the zero and the 2 walk behinds. Now I mainly work by myself and just take out a push with either the zero turn of the walk behind and have a smaller 10 ft trailer.

8. Robert Pruitt

One good thing with the 12ft. you can pick it up by the tongue to move it around.

9. hall1000

hall1000 LawnSite Member

I think i will be fine with it then. What kind of used wb do you think I should be looking for? Do you think i should get one with a bagger kit on it? I been looking on craigslist for a while but do you think it is possibly to buy one under 1000 dollars.

10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Open trailers aren't bad too bad up because you can look over your shoulder and see where it's going, but it can be a little tricky at first. One of the hardest things to get used to is how much room you need for the front end of your truck to get the trailer where you need it to go. Always back up slowly!