What size trailer?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by hall1000, Nov 25, 2010.

1. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I think it is very smart of you to go for the 6x12 trailer. That trailer is a good size and should still give you room to put some extra stuff on, especially if you plan on staying with a walk behind mower.

A 6x12 trailer is a size that really follows the truck nicely, meaning you won't have to take very wide turns...you probably won't really have to worry about turning with it actually. When you are backing up, learn to use your mirrors...you will thank yourself for it. It is much easier to back up a trailer using your mirrors once you get used to it.

As far as what type of walk behind to get, a belt drive will be your best bet if you are working with a tight budget. I wouldn't be too picky on sizes, anywhere from 36"-48" should be fine. Get a name brand and one that appears to be in good condition.

Best of luck to you.

2. hall1000

hall1000 LawnSite Member

Thanks. I need to find a good wb for about 1000 dollars that's all my budget let's me. I don't want to get one that's to big and wouldn't be able to fit through fences since I would only have 1 wb and a 21 inch mower
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Gonna be hard to get anything decent for $1,000. You might need to just go with small lawns and a 21 incher to start. Skip the trailer and just ramp the walk behind into the truck once you can afford a decent one.

4. hall1000

hall1000 LawnSite Member

Well my mom boss has a 6x12 trailer and she will probably sell it to her for like 200 dollars and gave it to me for Christmas but I could probably get more money for a wb. Like how much could I get a decent one for?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Darryl G

I dunno..maybe $2,000 to $2,500 for a commercial walk behind in good shape.

6. hall1000

hall1000 LawnSite Member

well hopefully I can find one.

7. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

I prefer hydros but they do cost more than a belt drive. If you are going to do yards with gates you should get a 36". 48" will fit through some gates if they swing the right way, it depends on who your clients are. I found my last 2 machines on Craigslist,both had low hours. My 48" wasn't cheap but it was still half of new cost.Call your insurance company the day you buy it.

8. hall1000

hall1000 LawnSite Member

I don't want to get to big of one that i cant control fully and gave them a bad cut either. Does it make a difference with the bigger ones and how they handle?

9. Darryl G

10. hall1000

hall1000 LawnSite Member

Those are some pretty nice mowers but you were right they are around 2000 dollars. I will look around on there for some more.