What size trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mwalz, Apr 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. skorum03

skorum03 LawnSite Senior Member

any half ton on up can handle a 16-18ft trailer hauling two mowers and some other equipment no problem. Would a 3/4 ton be better... yes, but the half ton is fine. I've done it plenty of times.

2. mwalz

mwalz LawnSite Bronze Member

I pull with an f-150 with the tow package, and my mom will have a hard time for me wanting to get a 12' trailer even though i may need it in the future because it is not a necessity at the moment. The 8' is too small and a 10' trailer is not that long. Even in a year i can sell the 10' for almost what i paid for it if i need to. Good point on the a-frame trailer. Keep the suggestion coming.

3. Chuckduck

Chuckduck LawnSite Senior Member

I've had two big tex traikers and live them not to mention when you go sell it they hold their value especially when they hear it's a bigtex. But anyways have a 6x12 and actually wish I had a 6x14! I have a 50" dixie chopper and a 36 tt and it's real tight !

4. skorum03

skorum03 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah you gotta keep in mind the space you have at home I suppose. Hadn't really thought about that. When I was 19, me and two buddies bought a 22 foot camper and my parents just about s h i t their pants when I brought it home and parked it in the driveway

5. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Alabama

I'm talking like ranger - s10 small

6. mwalz

Haha, i don't think my parents will let me keep it in the drive way, but i live on 2 acres, and there is plenty of room for a 10'-18' trailer. I could even fit a tractor trailer in my driveway because it is pretty good size.

7. mwalz

8. blk90s13

blk90s13 LawnSite Bronze Member

I used a 6.5x12 single axle the first couple of years then went to a 7x16 enclosed solo operator here.

9. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

I know you are on a budget, this trailer is better than the first line you posted imo. If you are just hauling mowers, not a bad trailer. If you want to do mulch, not so good. If you plan on doing mulch and clean ups I would look for something like this trailer:

http://www.trailersuperstore.com/tr...pe-utility-trailer-3k-with-24-high-mesh-sides

10. Clippers PLS

Clippers PLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I started out with a 5x10 and ended up with a 5x14 before I ended up getting a storage space other than my garage....I used my garage as my shop space, which limited me to a 5 foot wide trailer due to the width of the actual garage door, a 6 foot wide trailer with wheel wells wouldnt fit