What size trailer?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by joeycats, Feb 24, 2005.

1. joeycats

joeycats LawnSite Member

This is my second season and I am going to purchase a trailer. I have a Dodge Ram 2500 and a 48" Bunton fixed deck walk and a new 2005 scag swzu 48" walkbehind. What is the smallest dimensions on a trailer that you guys would advise me to buy? I was thinking 6'X10'. Your input is vital!! Thanks a million!!! Joe

CATANIA LAWN AND LANDSCAPE_mdm.jpg

2. GrassMasterNC

GrassMasterNC LawnSite Member

I'd start with at least a 6 x 14 tandem axel.

You'll wish you went bigger half-way through the season.

Matt

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

A 10 foot trailer will be full with he mowers you listed. I would look at a 12 foot at least

4. Patrick.B

Patrick.B LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with 6x12 or more ,,,

5. joeycats

joeycats LawnSite Member

So a 6X12 would cover me for this season? I have the two 48"s but will I really need to have them both with me? I don't think I will.

6. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

As alot of guys would tell ya, BIGGER is better. I know $ are tight at times, but if you can swing a few extra 100's go with the biggest you can get. You'll wish you had in the long run. Steel is alot these days. Good luck.

7. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Trailer size- I have a 7x12 and we use a exmark 52"Truf Tracer, 48"exmark viking, little wonder HPV, and 2-husquvarnia 21" push mowers, and the typical stuff, edger, trimmers (on a rack) 2 back blowers (on a rack) and some other stuff, and its tight but managable.

8. Hacksquat

Hacksquat LawnSite Member

I started last year with a 6X12. I just traded it in, and bought a 6X14 tandem axel. I have an exmark lazer z, and have just ordered a metro hp. I was worried about the length, and the weight on a single axel. I have a landscape trailer with 4 foot raised sides. The trailer its self weighs around 1,000 lbs. (according to the manufacturer) The lazer weighs around 1,200 lbs. The walk behind will weigh around 550 lbs. Plus my 21" mower, and other equipment. I will say that the 6X12 was nice in maneuvering around. I have one yard that has a circle driveway. My 6X12 just cleared a tree. With my 6X14 I'll have to park out on the street.

9. joeycats

joeycats LawnSite Member

Well everone thanks for your help. Does anyone know NY prices on a 6X10 and a 6X12??? Does Home Depot or Lowes have trailers?

10. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Sure they do...if you want a piece of JUNK.

Forget the 6x10 as it will not hold what you listed. Go with at least a 6.5x12. I have several of those but no longer buy anything shorter than 18'. I have bought a lot of trailers but have found the company below to be the best made and best priced. Their website says that they ship anyay in the US also but I am not familar with those details as I always pick mine up at their factory.

www.kaufmantrailers.com