what size truck do i need. help.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by DillonsLawnCare, Oct 25, 2007.

1. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

hey guys, im getting a truck next year along with some new equipment. what kind of truck would i need to pull a 6x12 open trailer with a full size Z mower and walkbehind or two.

any input is appreciated.:clapping:

thanks:waving: :waving: :drinkup: :weightlifter: :dancing: :usflag:

2. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

If all you are going to do is yard maintenance, go for the better gas mileage of a 1/2 ton p/u. if you have a need to haul more than 1500lbs or pull more than 6,500lbs., then get you a 2500HD, but expect to pay a lot more for the truck and the gas.

3. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

A 6X12' trailer is big enough for a full size ZTR and a WB but unless it is a tandem I wouldn't use this set-up very long. No way will it hold a ZTR and 2 WB's. I would recommend a 6X16' tandem axle trailer ( with brakes ). I used a 1995 Chevy 1500 2wd with a 5.7 liter motor and pulled this exact trailer and set-up for 3 years without any problems.

4. mower&more1986

mower&more1986 LawnSite Senior Member

5. mower&more1986

6. mower&more1986

7. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

Good gas milage=half ton, but you never know what you are going to be hauling so if I were you I would go for a 3/4 ton.

8. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

What ever you do, don't pay $3K for a 6x12 enclosed, thats nearly double what we can get them for everyday. And don't waste money for a diesel if you don't have a NEED for it. Seperate your WANTS and NEEDS. It'll do you no good to have a high dollar truck that you have to bust your butt just to pay for. Get a 6x12 trailer and a small truck (dakota, ranger,s10, etc.) so you'll have good gas mileage and you'll only need to pull 2500-3000 lbs. But if you want to look like the big boys go buy crewcab dually.

9. mower&more1986

on some points agree but as far the 6x12 enclosed trailer for less $,3000
    all can say is ha! maybe where you live things are cheaper but here in IL
    it ain't getting any better. as far trucks for a 16 year old I would go with a old chevy or ford stay from dodge unless you like replacing the auto trans
    best truck to imo would be 19?? ford 150 4.9 straight six with auto trans believe me you wont like stick shift found that one out the hard way.
    but as far stick shift and diesels go there perfect for each other the diesel is harder to kill but you are in control of the truck shifting.
    so with that being said just get something like a ford 150 4.9 straight six with auto trans they have really good motors.
    also whatever you do try your best to stay out of debt also found that one the hard way.
    I may of made some mistakes but Im only human :hammerhead:

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

3/4 ton fo'teh win