What size Truck to buy?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by poipuyardcrew, Jun 28, 2008.

1. poipuyardcrew

poipuyardcrew LawnSite Member

Looking for advice on the right size truck. I dont want to spend too much on gas and I need enough horse power to pull a 5' x 10' trailer with 3 weed wackers. 36" quick mower, 48" scag tiger, usually 2 full trash cans, 1 blower, rakes- shovels, etc.

Dont want to be swaping out transmitions every 3 years either.

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

If you don't plan on growing too much, a 1/2 ton pick-up should be fine. If you plan on getting larger, or doing mulch jobs and other stuff a 3/4 or 1 ton truck would be the thing to get. Pick your brand, each is good in different ways.
  3. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

1/2 ton v8 at least. Whatever brand u like. the V8 will not work as hard as a 6 cyl...............:usflag:
  4. LedgedaleLawn

LedgedaleLawn LawnSite Senior Member

These threads are so pointless. People have 1000 different opinions.
  5. me.

me. LawnSite Member

the guy above is completely right..nobody really knows your situation...really depends on how many lawns you are mowing i guess..from my angle at least..if you are doing like 3 days of mowing, i would get a small truck, V6 auto (this way when your not towing, you will get better gas mileage)...if your doing full mowing 5-7 days a week, it will be benefital to have the v8 with power.

just my opinion, i drive a 4L V6 ranger for 9 lawns, works great
  6. RLC LLC

RLC LLC LawnSite Member

7. flairland

flairland LawnSite Senior Member

Who cuts grass 7 days a week?! I'd be a very miserable man..

Staying on topic, I think a 1/2 ton v8 would be a good fit for you. Maybe like an F150 with the small V8 (4.6)
  8. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

you need an f-550 with a 500 horse cummins with twin turbos for that 5x10 and walk behinds. ha! no, 1/2 ton with the 4.6 v8 would be plenty.
  9. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

An F-550 with a Cummins engine! That would be nice (24V of course). It would be even better with a CAT diesel, Why wont any of the big 3 trucks strike up a deal with CAT??? That truck would sell like crazy!
  10. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

O yes it would. Oooo The cat and cummins as an option on the same truck... o yes...