what size walk-behind?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Fox Fire, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Fox Fire

Fox Fire LawnSite Member
    from zone 7

I've been looking at wb's lately and really can't decide an a particular brand or size.This will be my first year in the business and have been buying equipment through the winter.I have acquired a 2760 dixie chopper,trimmers,blowers and various hand tools.The properties that I will be doing range from five acres to 100'x100' lots. Some commercial but mostly residential.The ztr is fine for the larger properties but over kill on the smaller ones. I can use 21s but would like to have something a little larger to increase being productive. At this time only a couple are gated. Any input would really help.
  2. Young Lawn Boy

Young Lawn Boy LawnSite Member

I bought a 48 in. toro walk behind, fixed deck, and it works awesome...a lot of my yards have gates but my mower still fits through cause they are 48 in wide gates...its a tight squeeze but i fit through so thats all that matters. I personally think the 36 in. deck is to small and would go with the 48 any day
  3. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

It doesnt take many 36 inch gates to make that smaller walkbehind a very good thing to have on the trailer, but the 48 could back up the z if it went down on you.We have alot of small gates here so I have to use one.
  4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

How many of the SMALL(100x100) lots do you have?

That's still around a 1/4 acre.

36" for gated stuff, or if you've got no gates, a 48" will be good for 1/4-1 acre stuff.
  5. Fox Fire

Fox Fire LawnSite Member
    from zone 7

I have 17 of the smaller lots and have more pending. I know they are about1/4 acre ,but the front lawns are usually broken up with drive,sidewalk and landscaping.Just was wondering which would be better a 48 or 36 ?
  6. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

OK, but what about the backyards?

A fair number of my residentials around 1/4 acre are like that in front, but wide open in the back, and 2/3 or more of the turf area is in the backyard.

Unless all your front yards are really cut up, I'd go 48"...
  7. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

A 48" wb is a really good mower to have in your line-up. If you can handle pushing the back yards that you can not get the 48" in, then I would go with it. If that is gonna be a problem for you, them I would say the 36" is the way to go. The 36" is not gonna be able to keep up the pace of the rider if it goes down for anything. The 48" won't either, but it will be better. Just something to think about.
  8. wowmowwow

wowmowwow LawnSite Member

my 36" stays parked mostly. 48" is backup on trailor. the 36" stripes looks better than the 48". i refer to it, the 36", as "candy striper." its heavier than a smaller mower, and it the cut appearance looks better i think because of the two blades.
    no fact behind this, i think that the reason is, they both are 15hp. 48" has three blades. 36" has two blades. so the better cut goes to the 36" becuase more power is going to two spindles instead of three spindles.

although i dont have never used stripe kits, i cant speak on that. exmark has a huge, heavy, push/self mower.

the wb will get it done faster, no doubt.
  9. A.D Services

A.D Services LawnSite Member

get the qiuck 44 its the cheapest