what size ztr to buy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rb0407, May 12, 2008.

1. rb0407

rb0407 LawnSite Member

I have around 55 yards, Largest is around 2 acres, maybe 2-3 yards are around 1 acre and the rest are very small to 1/2 to 3/4 acre. I am using 3 21" commercial Snappers to mow everything but would like to upgrade to some type of ZTR to reduce some of the physical strain. Adding a few yards wouldn't be an unwelcome thing, though I am mostly concerned with an easier way to maintain what I've got as the temperature and humidity get higher. A competitor friend tells me that I ought to get a 48" ZTR, but I wonder if I ought to go with a smaller mower, say something like the Exmark Phazer, given the size of my yards. My customers really like the clean cuts the Snappers give and I would like something that gives a comparable cut. Any suggestions would be appreciated. --Ralph

2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

I would not get a 48" Z... look at getting a 48" W/B. It will be a lot more versatile and maneuverable in tight areas. And if you really have to you can add a sulky so you dont have to walk behind it. I would not waste the money on such a small z... JMO...

3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah.. if you are cutting 1 & 2 acres with 21" anything larger would be nice. If I were cutting mostly 1/2 to 3/4 acre lots I would use a 52 - 60 inch walk behind. The cut will be nicer than a Z. Don't be a lazyass like most of us. :)

4. Precision09

Precision09 LawnSite Member

What are the size of your backyard gates? Do you want to buy a mower that is to big to fit? Then you will have to push mow--------I hate to push mow it is time consuming and time cost me money

5. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I won't help you decide what size mower you need (I'd have to see your yards) but I just wanted to say that anything Bobcat leaves a great cut. Good luck

6. Raven386

from CT

He already push mows his 2 acre properties :hammerhead:

7. rb0407

rb0407 LawnSite Member

I just looked at my rotation and it appears that I have maybe a half-dozen yards where gates are a factor.

8. Raven386

from CT

Some gates you can squeeze a 48" mower into. I would get a w/b before I got a Z. its a lot more versatile and leaves a better stripe than a Z too.

9. Precision09

Precision09 LawnSite Member

Gates are a factor and if I were push mowing 2 acres i would have been out of the industry a few years back

10. rb0407

rb0407 LawnSite Member

just trying to make a living