What size?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by BLC1, Jun 3, 2008.

1. BLC1

BLC1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

whats a good size compact tractor if you were planning to use it for running a rototiller, pulv., blade, auger, brush hog, light bucket work?

2. BLC1

BLC1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

is a 25 horse going to be too small? I was thinking I should probably be around 30

3. SouthernLandworks

SouthernLandworks LawnSite Member

I'd say go with at least a 35.

4. ddivinia

ddivinia LawnSite Member
    from Texas

How much land will you be mowing?

Auger work can be tough with a sub category 1 - 3 point. (the tractor is too low essentially.)

Do you like any particular brand?

D.

5. mowingguy

mowingguy Guest

When sizing for brush hogging we use 1 foot of brush hog takes 8 hp. So a 5 foot brush hog takes 40hp. You can "get away" with smaller numbers but it is hard on the machine. -SL

6. ddivinia

ddivinia LawnSite Member
    from Texas

That sounds pretty right. I had a John Deere 2210 and it would not spin a 4' mower very well at all.

D.

7. Ridin' Around

Ridin' Around LawnSite Senior Member

I would agree on the 30 hp. It is a good size tractor that allows you to get into smaller places and get tasks completed, while having enough hp to get things done.

8. ddivinia

ddivinia LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Remember that in the smaller tractors people talk about engine horsepower, not PTO horsepower. PTO is what drives things - so, make sure you have enough PTO power for your mower. You will hate it if it is too small.

D.

9. lawnjocky

lawnjocky LawnSite Member

It's going to depend on the size of jobs you plan to do. They make attachments to fit almost any hp cut's. A smaller tractor will get you in tighter places and allow you to use it more often. I have had 24,33 and 37hp cut's. Decide what your need is. A small machine will take longer on a big job, but a big tractor may not do a small job at all.

10. ddivinia

ddivinia LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Size and power aren't the same thing of course. On the JD line - the 3x20s are the same physical size, just different power. Like with the JD 4x20s.

D.