What size?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf King, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Turf King

Turf King LawnSite Member
    from Ozarks

I mow mainly apartment complexes but I am going to mow a 10 acre cemeterey this year, would a 72'' be to big or should I stick with a 61''

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Depends.....
    Are you mowing around headstones all day ???
    Or is it all markers ??
    Or both ???
    A 72" unit can be productive in a cemetery if you have enough offset on the trim side of the deck. It makes getting in between headstones very easy.
    What type of mower are you talking here also ?? front mount or mid mount ?
    If front mount with a 72" with offset, you will be very productive.

Later
    Pj

3. Turf King

from Ozarks

I was looking into getting a 72'' Dixie.

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I am not sure how much trim capability you will have with a 72" Dixie, I believe there is not much.
    Thus, making trimming in a cemetery a bit harder.
    If you look at the Hustler 72" Z or Super Z you will have 8" of trim, and for a little more you can put the tire and rim from a 60" Hustler on it.

Later
    Pj

5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

We usa a Walker GHS 48" and a MTD Pro Z, works best of the one we do, and they fit in well with our other properties.

6. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

how about if u add a flex deck to the 72" dixie? wouldnt that be good for around head stones?

7. Turf King

from Ozarks

Mowerconsultant,

I'm sorry I did not answer all of youre question, mostly headstones and a few markers.

8. TOSLC

TOSLC LawnSite Member

My experience with cemetery's has been if their newer (the stones) then they will be evenly spaced, therefore allowing you to use a 72". However if the stones are older (you know the ones with black mold, like the ones seen in horor movies) you will need a 60" to avoid having to trim a lot.

Good luck with the cemetery, it can be a hassle sometimes. "You blowed grass on my Mom's stone on purpose." "Your not mowing often enough." "Now your mowing too much." "You threw away the flowers cause you don't like us!" Blah, Blah, Blah. I understand how it is to have deceased loved ones, but people need to be rasonable! By the way there is good money in cementery's, but I no longer maintain any.