1. Tim1075

Tim1075 LawnSite Member

What size blade would you guys put on an 1985 f-250 4x4?

2. Snow Pro

Snow Pro LawnSite Member

7 1/2 or 8' with Pro Wings.

3. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Follow what the plow manufacturer "up to size" recommends as well as Ford's weight limits.

Watch asking that question on this site. Several guys like putting Boss v plows on little 1/2 ton trucks. They might recomend something like a 16' Avalanche for that beefy 250.

4. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

You want an 8.5, because of the big turning radius. Trust me 7.5 is way to small, 8 is ok, but 8.5 is the best.

Geoff

5. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Skookum,
    I feel like that comment might have been directed at me.

For the record:
    I would NEVER recommend an Avalanche 16' pusher to be mounted on an F250.

I ONLY recommend ProTech.

On a serious note, almost all the good products & services we have is because somebody had a crazy idea and pushed the envelope.

6. Tim1075

Tim1075 LawnSite Member

I have a 7.5 western on it i just wanted to know if i should go bigger.

7. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

If you've already HAVE that blade, I'd put on Pro-wings and run it for this season.

8. Michael Fronczak

Michael Fronczak LawnSite Member

Tim, stick with the plow you have, it paid for no sense in spending 3-4 thousand on that old of a truck. Add pro wings for $170.00, to gain extra plowing width (20").

9. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Yes if you have a 7.5 on it, then keep it. Add pro wings, or look for a used 8.5' blade. However your cheaper option is proabably pro wings, but I have never used them.

Geoff

10. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Keep the plow you have and use it.The truck will handle what ever V plow shy of a ten footer you want to put on it,that is based on experience. If you would like to listen to the advise of some designer whos worried about his butt and not your bottom line,the truck will hardly handle what it has on it and really they would not recommend plowing with their truck at all.If you listen to the advise given here you better sell the truck and buy a new 550 Ford with a six footer so you don't get picked up for overloading the front axle.Be cautious of the advise given here because it is all given by about 20 of us and there are thousand of plowers out there, take it with a grain of salt and hopefully you have enough experiance to weed out the bull.When you ask such a question as the one you did the experience and income is so varied that often very little of the advise is worth any thing and you have to base your decision on what you know to be true and what you see around you. Sorry so winded just getting a little tired again of people constantly saying what can't be done when it is being done and done successfully, and when they are so willing to give advise spending others money so freely(like trading in a brand new truck for one with a little heavier front axle, what kind of monitary hit is that poor sucker going to take, bad advise)So again I say keep your truck and blade and maybe spend a little money for some wings if you have the accounts to justify one.