What Skid Steer to buy

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by tdusek, Aug 21, 2006.

1. tdusek

tdusek LawnSite Member

I am looking to buy a skid steer.

I want a heavy machine to move a lot of material at one time as well as high flow for hydraulics. I have looked at the Bobcat S300, Deere 332, Gehl 7810E, Cat 268.

I have had major work done on 2 Bobcats with under 600 hours on each.

They might not be my favorite.

I am leaning toward the Gehl. High HP-High Flow-3850 lb lift capacity.

I would rather not hear from a guy that is die hard brand just because that is all he has ever used. Like a Ford vs Chevy thing.

Anyone know why I shouldn't look at Gehl? Or why Bob, Cat or Deere are better machines?

Thanks Guys,
    Todd

2. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

If you work on the machine yourself, you don't want a gehl, they're a ***** to work on.

Otherwise they're pretty good machines. If I were buying another one I'd stick with cat, I personally like them over the other machines. They're reliable, I have a good dealer and they're easy to work on.

3. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Which two Bobcats have you had problems with and what year were they purchased?

The Cat 268 is slightly lighter than the other three options you have listed. To that list, I would also add the Case 465, which, as ksss can attest, is a beast of a machine as well.

Who will be doing the machine's maintenance?

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I'd buy a Case if service is good in your area.

5. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

case. never bobcat.

6. tdusek

tdusek LawnSite Member

The first was a 763 and a T190. Both of them used and under 400 hours when purchased.

Machine Maintenance: Warranty=Dealer After Warranty=Me or dealer

7. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Notice my company name ( Bobcat Landscaping Service ) Im kind of parcel but yet open minded. I think the key is to buy a piece of eq. that you have a local dealer close. Service is the main thing second is having attachmeny availibity. As far as brands your going to find on this site or like in your local bar room , Which is best ford or chevy!
    Mike

8. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would give the Deere a good look. I have the CT332 and so far I'm very happy with it. I have looked at just about all of the major skid steers out there, and I think the Deere is by far the most serviceable. It opens up all around the engine and hydraulics, especially compared to a Bobcat. I don't know if the high-flow is enough gpm for what you need (34 I think), but it's a very stout machine that is engineered very well (cab,hyd.power,machine balance,etc...) If the Deere isn't what you're looking for, I'd go with Case for my next choice.

9. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

The Gehl at least on paper is a lot of skid steer. The issues I would have with the Gehl are low hyd. hp at the high flow side. According to Loftness, they were way low given the hp of the machine. The other issue with Gehl is resale value. They don't have any. As far as operating comfort and durability, I have not run the big Gehl skid steer but other Gehls I have run had terrible fit and finish and basicly were not as well built as some of the others. That is not to say they are not durable, they may be, it seems to me like someone built the Gehl in their shop over the winter. I am envious of the dump height of the that big machine. CAT certainly cannot compete in this field over 3000 ROC. The Bobcat S300 is a good example of excellent fit and finish, I just don't believe they are that heavy duty but they are certainly capable. If the duty cycle was lighter they would probably do well. The 300 series Deeres are still a crap shot at this stage at least to me. I continue to of issues with these machines. Granted not near the extent of the 200 series and not the 332 specificly but rather the 300 series in general. The 332 does spec. well. The 465 CASE certainly deserves a look. It has one of the strongest hyd. systems on the market, extremely well built from a structure stand point. The weakness of this machine (at least the 95XT my 465 is not here yet) is they are thirsty, the cab room is tight. The 400 series cabs are improved, but not as nice as I would like them to be. Bobcat still leads the market I believe as far as putting together a high quality cab.

From a Productivity standpoint I can say that the 95XT is very impressive. Combined with ride control and an 83" bucket you can move an incredible amount of material.

10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Bobcat's cab makes you feel like you're flying the space shuttle with all the plastic crap and the deluxe instrumentation is a joke, do you really need all that on a skid steer? I swear the display on a $40K Bobcat skid steer is better than that of a $140K 312C and the 312 displays aren't shabby in the least bit. At least Bobcat has their priorities straight, that will always be their biggest selling point, ease of use and less operator fatigue.

Cat has a nice, but very subtle cab. However, Cat doesn't produce anything in the 3,000 ROC range, too bad for them. Give the business to CASE.