what skid steer to get?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Lawnboy5, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Lawnboy5

Lawnboy5 LawnSite Member

Hello to all and thanks for reading. I am looking at S250, deere 325, 180b or a cat 267 all for about the same price. I am getting self leving, heat and some have air, hand controls on all and power bucket attach. what you you buy if you had the choice. It is used for digging and snow plowing. also what is the best snow plow to buy?
    Thanks again.

2. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Small problem... 267 is not to be compared with those. If you want a skid steer, look at skid steers. If you want to add CTLs into the mix, make sure you compare a 267 to other CTLs -- not SSLs.

I think it would also help us out if you told us what you intend to do with the machine. Is this to be for landscaping or for snowplowing primarily? What are underfoot conditions? And very importantly, how are the dealers in your area?

3. Lawnboy5

Lawnboy5 LawnSite Member

sorry the numbers were wrong. It is a 262B cat.

4. Tigerotor77W

from Germany

Ah... much better. Even so, let us know what you want to do with the machine.

Just for kicks, I'd also throw in the Case 435 or 445 into the mix, as those are also solid machines.

I'll let others chime in for a change... the 262B is a great machine with a great control system. For the moment, I'd suggest testing them out after you've narrowed down the list a bit.

5. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

This has potential for a great thread. We run a S250 Bobcat. If I had it to do over I belive I would buy a S300 a little more power than the S250 and 500lb more operating cap. I like the cab on the bobcat better than the cat. It feels more open to me. And we bought selectable joysticks so if we ever hire an operator that runs with hand controls (not iso) he/she can operate either way they prefer (I prefer the ISO myself) (just a rumor here, but I have heard that John Deere is struggling with skid steers and may even stop producing them because of problems, any comments on this?) what about new hollands, I know they have had some problems with the 85 series (prior to the 160,170 and so on) electrical, saftey interlock and such. No ideas on CASE .

6. jd270

jd270 LawnSite Member

ive been running a buddys cat 246 the controls are ok i like a little more feed back in the controls the cat contols work well when using an auger but it seems like the arms could use more support in the front for pushing ...bobcat brought out a s300 to demo the pilot controls work ok in bobcat setting but were verry jumpy in cat setting i needed a helmet it was so jumpy .....my 270 would out dig and out push it as far as deere goes mine has been great as with my friends with them around here deere rules .....and its not that i dislike any other brands i just know which one has been the best to me with the best dealer suport

7. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

I demo'd several brands over the past few weeks. Bought the Cat today. It is hands down the best on the market IMO and for my application.

9. Lawnboy5

Lawnboy5 LawnSite Member

I also bought the cat today. Thanks for all the help.

10. Tigerotor77W

from Germany

Wow, that was quick... congrats on the purchase! Snap some photos! :D