What software are you using/recommend for billing and scheduling?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by krlc, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Sensation Man

Sensation Man LawnSite Member

The problem with excel is the way u have to save every document as a seperate file. Excel really sucks when your trying to keep a database of all invoices you sendout and how much each customer ows u. That's where Quickbooks pro really shines.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. Jobber

Jobber Sponsor

Hey Davids,

Just wanted to chime in and tell you to check us out. We do everything that has been mentioned in this thread - quotes, billing, scheduling, automatic invoicing, payments, mobile, QB sync, etc. Also, as someone else mentioned we are rolling out some upgrades within the next 30 days.

The one thing we don't have that I know some do is the customer portal. However, for the difference in price we are a much better fit for 90% of the companies out there.

3. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

I am currently using Jobber with Quickbooks online, Jobber syncs to QB with no problems and has all of the features that need, helps me stay on top of invoices, estimates, reminders and general tasks. I'm glad I made the switch.....can't beat it!
  4. Rick Grantham

Rick Grantham LawnSite Member

Agree with you Sensation Man. As an all-in-one small business office product, QB shines. But if you don't have QB, excel provides you with FLEXIBILITY (if you know how to use it really, really well). Database views are easy to set up, etc if you are good at it... for the rest of us, its just a spreadsheet.

Example.... Go google "invoice program in excel" right now and you will find plenty of options. There are lots of things off the shelf in excel, but if you already use QB to run your business, then by all means --- go with that.

5. Jobber

Jobber Sponsor

Hey Big C,

I'm very glad to see that you are happy with it! Thanks for the kind words.

6. zgrrl

zgrrl LawnSite Member

We do 30% lawn mowing and 60% Fine Garden Maintenance about 10% Install.
    I run 1-2 employees a day besides myself, am in the field as a technician.

Two years ago went from Excel to Quickbooks...what a huge benefit. Agree with Darryl B above:
    Learn how to set up your Lists and Chart of Accounts properly. I paid a bookkeeper to show me how to set up and use. We set up a dummy company first to make mistakes with.

I still schedule with a planner and excel (and can link worksheets to Materials Needed for example).
    I like Quickbooks Pro, for the invoices, estimates, customer database management, labels for mailing, and the reports. Reports have really helped me see where I'm making and spening money.

However, had to upgrade a year ago to retain the 'benefit' of sending invoices by email. No choice there.
    Thanks for the discussion..I'm going to look into jobber and hindsite.
  7. adam.neusbaum

adam.neusbaum LawnSite Senior Member

I've enjoyed QB Online for 2 years & am now learning Google calendar which has reinforcing reminder emails --minutes out before a service appointment. Feels like double work but keeps me sane on the workdays.
  8. Jobber

Jobber Sponsor

Hi zgrrl,

Actually, as I was reading your post, I was thinking "Man, that sounds like a lot of hassle using the different programs - wish I could jump in and tell him to try Jobber."

Thanks for the interest. I'm glad you'll give us a shot. If you have not done so already, you can sign up for a free trial to check it out. Also, I would always recommend setting up a free demo to walk you through a typical work flow and set it up for your business.

9. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Jeff - I just wanted to say that I think you're doing a great job of promoting your product here. It seems like you're being honest about what your product will and won't do and where it fits in. That's refreshing...some reps make it seem like their product is the only way to go and that it will do everything for you including doing your laundry. I run a small operation and scheduling the number of customers I have isn't much of a challenge, so I'm not likely to become a customer any time soon, but if I were looking for something to complement QB I'd give your software a good hard look.
  10. imow in NC

imow in NC LawnSite Member

I was using the older version of lawn pro. 3.13. the newer version really sucks. has more bugs than the White house. Use quickbooks for billing and expenditures. big learning curve unless you have a degree in Accounting.