1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What software to use? Also JD 665 or DIXIE?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jdjoe_97, Feb 18, 2001.

1. jdjoe_97

jdjoe_97 LawnSite Member

This is my sixth season in the business. Just now getting to the point where I NEED some accounting software to keep track of everything. Also will start doing W2's and paying estimated income tax ect... I would like to know what some of you are using right now. Just to give you all a picture of my business. I am the only full timer, with usually four part time guys. We do 65% residential, 35% commercial, lawn care only, no landscaping yet. I have 40 accounts, grossing around 45K.

Secound question, I just bought a pair of JD M665's in January. Haven't gottin a chance to use them yet though. Then last Friday, went to Louisville KY, to Mid-West farm show and saw the DIXIE's and talked to them for a while. I am wishing I would have investigated them a little further. Any feedback you have on the DIXIE or JD m665's would be appreciated. Also after buying the Deere's I started hearing about problems with the 25hp Kohler they have. Should I be worried?

The Penn, rep with dixie claims he can mow a 33 acre airstrip with the twin 20hp, 72" DIXIE in 3 hours. I am finding that one hard to believe. What do you think?? He says he runs 18 mph!!! Thanks for any help you can give me.
  2. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

If your business is such that you need scheduleing along with a basic accounting package then investigate Clip, Lawn Monkey, Quickbooks Pro, etc. But if you need a basic program that you can try before you buy (shareware) that's easy to learn, prints statements, invoices, etc then check out: http://www.medlin.com and download and try their accounts receiveable program. I've been using it for years and have tried all the rest but STILL haven't found any better. Oh ya, the best part - it's only $35. Give it a try.
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

It does seem impossible to do 11 acres an hour, but I figured out at 15MPH and a 72" cut it would cut 10.97 acres an hour, but this is with no overlap and at 15 MPH. At 18 mph it would cut around 13 acres with no overlap. I have heard of some guys turning the Kohlers up to 4,000 rpms and this mower will cut at 15 MPH at 3,600 rpms. An air strip could have some long narrow areas to mow, so it could happen, but I wouldn't plan on mowing this much on the lawns we mow. From what I hear, 7 acres an hour isn't out of the question at all.
  4. SpringValley

SpringValley LawnSite Member

Do a search on the m665 as this has come up several times before. I use the F620 so I don't have any experience with the m665. My Deere dealer is also a Dixie dealer and they had all kinds of problems with the 25HP Kohler last year, mostly rings. Good Luck,

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

beings you got 2 25hp's,chances are one of them should be good.The rep that told you he could cut 33 acres in 3 hrs-is a BS artist,i cant cut that with my 15 ft mower,it would take me 3 1/2 hrs to do.
  6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

A 72" mower with a 2" overlap traveling 16 MPH average would cut 492,799.99 square feet of grass an hour divided by 43,560 would be 11.31 acres an hour. If these engines were turned up to 4,000 rpms and did go 18 MPH and averaged 16 MPH since it could be long runs at an air strip, this is possible. With 40 HP on this mower, normal grass cut weekly won't slow them down. I have no way to prove this did happen, but I'm just saying, it could be possible. As I said in the above post, 7 acres an hour is more realistic on a normal big lawn.

I mowed a drag strip that was a 1/2 mile long and had about 100 feet of grass on each side of the strip. I would guess this could be a simular setup and possibly longer runs at an airport, so there would not be much turning time to bring down the average speed. I would also think that the turf next to a landing strip would be smooth in case a small plane missed a runway. I know they can land on grass since there is a private grass runway behind some lawns I mow.
  7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Ihave run a JDm665 for 16 mths. Have had lots of engine oil leaks ,but all were fixed under waranty with little downtime. Mule drive belt kept jumping off but JD had a service order out on that problem and dealer fixedit. Machine has lots of power and will mow heavy, wet ryegrass without plugging. It scalps bad on even gentle sidehill slopes and rough rolling ground. Dealer has adj. deck several times and can`t fix scalping problem. while it mows great in heavy conditions, the scalping is a problem. I probably will not buy another one. I`m looking at Dixie Chopper, Bobcat, and Exmark.
  8. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

It takes me about 3 1/2 hours to cut 22 acres with a 108" mower. Have to dodge the telephone poles and trees and those damn woodchuck holes. You can only go so fast. Plus the turn around time. And stop a couple of times to take a _iss from all that bouncing around.
    On the air strip it would be a little bit better. But how many could stand going that fast for that long. I think the rep was giveing you a ideal cutting situation.
    Eric, you may have to go faster than 18 mph to average the 16 mph.

[Edited by Sammy on 02-19-2001 at 04:10 AM]