What sort of trailer do I need?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gardenpro, Feb 7, 2003.

1. gardenpro

gardenpro LawnSite Member
    from -

I expect to have a Walker w/ 48" deck, in the next few weeks. I have a dump truck, so I will want to carry it in a trailer not to waste the dump box.
    I'd like a honda commercial mower, the Walker, trimmers and a blower, to all fit into a trailer. What sort of suggestions do people have? I am definately going to have to go on the cheaper side, I assume the horse-like trailers are way to expensive. It will be out on the highway (60mph aprox).
    Thanks a bunch- Dennis
  2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

If you plan on expanding your business sometime in the future, I'd get a 16'er. Otherwise a 10 or 12'er will do.
  3. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

When I first saw the thread I was going to say you need a trailer your vehicle can tow but I see you have that covered. You don't have to have a huge trailer especially if you need to keep the cost low. True, the bigger the better if you plan to grow later on but, a trailer that will fit your budget and your equiment is what you need NOW. I've seen plenty of Walkers on 5X10 open trailers that couldn't have cost more than 4-500 dollars. Trailers usually hold their value so unless you pay too much, you should be able to sell it later when you decide to get a large trailer. I have a 6-1/2 X 12 open with side and rear gates and it's plenty for my solo operation.
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know what type of prices trailers run in your area, but you should be able to find a 6x12 or 6x14 angle iron open trailer for a fair price. If all you plan to run is 1 Walker and a 21" mower then I would get the 6x12. Why? No need pulling around more than you need. It gets harder finding places to stop for gas, food, etc. My current setup with truck and trailer is 40 ft long. Talk about a pain getting around town. Also, if you outgrow the 6x12 you still have a small trailer. Even though you have a dump, sometimes a small trailer is ideal.
  5. gardenpro

gardenpro LawnSite Member
    from -

Thanks guys, that sounds about the right size. Although the business is growing, I have two trucks, but will 99.9% only ever have one ride on, due to the fact it's a small town, in the mountains with plenty of hills. Thanks.
  6. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

I have a used 6 x 12 trailer I will be selling at the end of the month. It has 4' sides, the bottom two' solid metal with the top two' expanded metal. It has three sets of hooks on the front inside for trimmers, beavertail and one side basket for gas cans. It also has the ability to tow around a 700 series Bobcat. We didn't use it once last year and will be getting our new enclosed trailer in the first two weeks of March. It needs some touch up paint but it is otherwise in good condition. PM if you want.

PS I live in the lower mainland.