What speed to mow at(exmark)?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hunterslawn, Mar 27, 2005.

1. hunterslawn

hunterslawn LawnSite Member

1st year in the business and I love this site. You guys are the best source
    for info(thanks). Just bought my first commercial mower- 03' Exmark 52" ZTR
    Lazer Z hp 23hp w/435 hrs on it.
    My question is that in a prior post I saw the acres per hour productivity chart that eXmarks puts out w/the 100% & 80% efficiency rates per acre. I don't charge by the hour normally but am figuring $30-35 hour is the norm around here. How are you to judge the speed of your mower and at what speed do you run these with a collection system? Full,3/4 just don't know whats recommended.
  2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Mow as fast as you can while leaving the best cut. Trial and error!
  3. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

What PLM-1 said.

BUT ! Please, you will want to revisit your hourly expectations if you wish to profit.

Good fortune !
  4. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

that chart just gives you and idea how much you can cut with what size deck you have ,the real world is a little different ,i have two lawns in the same neighborhood same size about 30,000 sq ft. one lawn i can cut in 20 min the other closer to 50 min the terrain on one is nice and smooth can run full out ,the other rough as hell 4mph top's ,funny thing ,i actually charge more for the one i do quicker ,when i bid on them i thought it was going to be the other way around. like the man said trial and error
  5. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a lazer and my suggestion would be to go slower at first to get used to the way the mower handles. I have had mine for 5 years now, and I still run into situations where I have to go nice and easy. Saftey is the main thing, oh he!! ya, even before making the money.
    I would not go on the charts that the manufactures have, because how can they know what the conditions are while you are mowing.
    Then it would depend on how level and smooth the area is that you are mowing. I have some that I can flat out fly, but a lot where it is soo rough that slow speed is the only answer...
  6. hunterslawn

hunterslawn LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice. Your right, trial & error. Looking forward to this year, and may it be a profitable one for us all!