1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What sprayer do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cleancutccl, Oct 3, 2004.

1. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

I need a sprayer to do broadleaf weed blanket sprays on lawns, most of my lawns are around 30000 sq ft, with a few larger and a few smaller. Basically I will only use it for doing broadleaf weed and maybe pre-emergent. Otherwise i will be using a backpack sprayer for spot spraying. Does anyone just use a backpack sprayer for this type of use? I don't want to spend a fortune on a spray rig setup if I don't really need one, what do some of you guys think?
  2. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

You can go old school and get a spray tank from lesco, gregson clark, or many others, just do some searches on line. Cheapest upfront cost, but more labor, and in the long run more costly then.....

ride on units, Yes there more money up front, but in the long run they will save you money.

plenty of reading on here to figure out which one is best for you
  3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

The 200 gallon Lesco tank sprayer in my shed for sale would work nice for you. :)
  4. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Get an ATV sprayer with a boom. I was using a backpack or grounds wheelie until I got an account of 4 softball fields almost an acre each.
    I mounted a 15 gal ATV sprayer on a garden tractor I have and built a boom with two nozzles to get about an 8ft spray path which works good to follow the stripes from my 48" mower.
    I can apply from .44 to .79 gal per 1000 sq ft depending on what gear I'm in. I would need a larger pump if I want to go with higher volume.

you could mount a sprayer on your ZTR or pick up an old garden tractor cheap. I think gear is better because your speeds will be more consistent.

5. sprayman73703

sprayman73703 LawnSite Member

I have a Prolawn hooded sprayer mounted on a 718 Grasshopper tractor and it is the best money I have ever spent. I covered 300 acres (13,068,000 sq. feet) and never had a moments trouble. With the hoods you can spray up next to desirable plants without worry and can spray in any wind speed. Just hold on to your wallet. My rig I described was more than $10,000. But money well spent.
  6. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

Very true. And you will not believe how much money they will save or make until you have one.
  7. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I asked this question to the head of our state Dept of Ag. several years ago, as I was interested in purchasing one of those contraptions for the golf course. The reply was that if the pesticide label states that the chemical is to not be applied in a wind in excess of xxx MPH, then the chemical cannot be applied legally, regardless of application equipment or methods. He went on to explain that even though a hooded system apppears to be safe during high wind applications, once the equipment leaves the area, chemical volitization coupled with excess wind speed can cause damage to non target plants. This was the main reason I did not go with the hooded sprayer.
  8. sprayman73703

The only chemicals that can do that are 2,4-D and similar chemicals i.e. dicamba and any phenoxys. And if used in proper portions they won't b a problem. Roundup or any preemergent you would use won't have vapors that can hurt any desirables only direct spray. Plus if you are going to listen that close to your state man you better not spray on those absolutely still days either because most phenoxy labels say to have at least 5 MPH breeze. I adhere to the law but sometimes they get absolutly out of had with their BS just like any othere state agency. That is just my opinion.
  9. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Yep, that covers about every selective broadleaf herbicide. I listen to my State Ag Dept. Fines for violations start a $5k, and they can put me out of business in a heartbeat.
  10. sprayman73703

There are several other selective chemicals for broadleaf weeds. There are a couple imidazolinone chemicals that are great. My personal favorites that are great and long lasting are the Sulfonylureas. There are also some triazines that are good too. I find it interesting that all I ever see on this site is the mention and recomendation of old chemicals, i.e. trimec 2,4-d, etc... I don't know why noone uses the newer better products, they don't cost much more, and work better. There is no question that you have to stick to the laws, but if i sprayed only on days that the wind was with in the 5-10 or even 5-15 MPH range I would only be able to spray on 2 days a month. Most state guys understand that, and if you are not being reckless or you are using protective equipment (hoods, low pressure nozzles or air induction nozzles), they will work with you. When I was at Oklahoma State University they taught me that temperature inversion on calm days is just as deadly as direct contact of chemical on desirable foliage.