What spreader would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by casolorz, Aug 4, 2012.

1. casolorz

casolorz LawnSite Member
    from 67207

I have 3.5 acres to spread seed/fertilizer on, probably a good 3 or 4 times a year. I've bought the little pull spreaders before and they all end up breaking somehow. The last spreader I got at tractor supply looked pretty strong and like it could take it and it broke after maybe 10 minutes.
    I don't know if the kubota bx1860 I have is just too much for those little spreaders or if my lot is just too rough.

I've looked into the big cone spreaders, 3 point and pull behind, and would not mind getting a pull behind one but it really kills me that they cost so much more than the 3 point ones. The reasons I haven't gotten the 3 point ones are that maybe one day I won't have my kubota anymore and I am also thinking they might be too big for the job.

Anyways what would you recommend?

Thanks.

2. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

No they are not to big if it is spread out and not a lot of obstacles. I would go with the 3pt
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. wrooster

wrooster LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I have the same BX and have been using a tow-behind for two acres. I have used this particular spreader about 20 times without breaking it. :)

It's $155 w/ free shipping at Amazon...
    http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Products-TBS6000RDOS-130-Pound-Broadcast/dp/B000PSUS0Y

I would not characterize this model as "industrial strength" but on the other hand it has taken 120 lbs of lime (etc) for long rides. It is light enough that I can store it up off the floor in my workshop, so for the ~350 days I am not using it there is no wasted space.

My only complaint is that I have to find the time to extend the control closer to my operating position -- right now it is reachable but inconvenient.

If I had to get another, I would look at a PTO-driven type -- but on the other hand on my specific property, which is not exactly an open field, I think I would have to work at not over-applying in certain areas.

Wrooster

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. casolorz

casolorz LawnSite Member
    from 67207

Do you know the brand of that spreader? I'm still unsure as to what to get.

5. wrooster

wrooster LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I added the link to Amazon above.

The primary issue with a 3pt mounted PTO-driven spreader is that a decent quality one is *at least* three times the cost of a decent quality pull-behind. The PTO jackshaft alone is worth about $100.

Wrooster

6. casolorz

casolorz LawnSite Member
    from 67207

Thanks for the link. My only hesitation with the amazon one is that it looks pretty similar to my first one (also from amazon) except for it was a different brand.

I've been looking at this one for pto:
    http://www.agrisupply.com/pt-spreader-gearbox-driveline/p/70271/

7. avguy

avguy LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a JD2305 which is pretty much the green version of your orange. When I bought the tractor I also bought a PTO driven Frontier 3PH spreader. I don't remember exactly but I want to think it was around $350-$400. I works great and really came in handy when I spread almost 300 bags of lime on my 2 acres.

Two years ago I did a renovation on about 1.5 acres and I bought an 80lb Lesco push spreader. I actually use that more than the Frontier as I buy all my fertilizer from JD/Lesco and can use the setting from the bag. I don't fill it to 80lbs as it's too dam heavy that full. But I can easily cover my property in less than an hour and it's great exercise.

Here's a pic of both spreaders. If I had to choose just one hands down it would be the Lesco.

[​IMG]

8. wrooster

wrooster LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I would spend a tiny bit more and get a similarly sized/priced Cosmo PTO spreader -- that way when you need a replacement part or some such you won't be emailing China.

Wrooster