1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what state

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Mowerboy04, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

hey guys, what state do you guys think would be the best to run a lawn services in? and why do you think that.
  2. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Maine. It is as far away as you can get from Mexico.

Just kidding.

That is a tough one because there are so many variables.
    1. Length of growing season.
    2. Amount of people who value lawn care.
    3. Amount and cost of labor available as competition.
    4. Amount and cost of labor available to work for you.
    5. regulatory requirements to do lawn care.
    6. cost of living and running your business.
    7. density of population vs. lot size.

You could go on forever.

Using Maine as an example, you would have a short season, not many areas of dense population if you wanted to grow big, little interest in lawn care, not the most eager work force, and a state government that is looking more and more like they want to play Robin Hood (tax you to support others).

Massachusetts, just two hours away has a longer growing season, a lot of suburbia, a lot of people who value lawn maintenance, a labor shortage, lots of regulation, a very high cost to do business, and enough people in the business to make your head spin.

I think you could go state by state and find different positives and different negatives. You could easily find that these things balance themselves out.

I think that summer seasonal tourist areas with lots of expensive homes and a high cost of living have a lot going for them, if you can get the labor. The high cost of housing reduces the labor force, the homeowners have money and don't want to spend those weekends tending to the lawn, they tend to entertain guests and want the place looking good, ...
  3. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I have heard CAL is good, high prices and long season but really, I like parts of Texas too.

Florida should be good as well.
  4. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I've heard Georgia,Ala,Fla are good places because they have warmer weather
  5. marckxman

marckxman LawnSite Member

Probably Cali since they have lots of lawns to mow and no ready supply of competition from inexpensive yet experienced labor willing to work long hours in hot conditions.
  6. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Oregon or Florida
  8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I would have to say FL, but thats where I am. You always hear that people in florida dont make any money, and that is partilly correct. JOBS in FL pay crappy. When I moved here I was making $11.50 an hour and doing the same job here I got $6.50. But owning a business is quite different. You will have the customers looking for someone cheap, but you have that anywhere, and there are plenty of good customers to make up for them.
  9. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I have to say Texas. Texas is pretty much the best place in the world to do whatever you want except climbing tall mountains, deep sea lobster catching, or snow ski...
  10. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

ski in Texas?! Oregon is really bad!!! You don't want to come here, it rains 363 days out of the year.