What stick edger do you use?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by Bobbo22, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Bobbo22

Bobbo22 LawnSite Member

What do you recommend? Why?

2. Wright Lawn

Wright Lawn LawnSite Member

Stihl fc-110 works great for me. I've had the same one for 6 yrs and still runs great. You can lock the throttle full open and hold the edger with the engine up close to your shoulder. Blade changes are a lot easier than Echo edgers too.

3. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Echo PAS 280. Can be switched over to a string trimmer or pruner or whatever.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

husqvarna 324ldx with edger attachment. has honda 4 stroke engine. i use it as an edger and you can also use it as a trimmer or backup trimmer.

5. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Stihl FC-110

6. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've used a straight shaft redmax for 8 years. Just bought a Stihl with a curved shaft and love it. I used to think that a straight shaft was better for the supposed extra torque, but the curved shaft is MUCH better. There is no lack of power and the curve lets you stand off the curb and allows you to drop your shoulder a little bit which saves your arm from getting fatigued as fast.

Curved shaft Stihl is the way to go.

7. Bobbo22

Bobbo22 LawnSite Member

Which model do you have? I'm guessing FC-70 or FC-90?

Making the decision between curved and straight shaft is my biggest hurdle right now...

Seems straight has more torque and is better suited for overgrowth (more torque).. while curved is easier on the user but doesnt have as much power (more speed).

Do you always do your edges with the stick edger, or do you also use your string trimmer depending on the job?

8. Bobbo22

Bobbo22 LawnSite Member

That's an expensive beast of a machine... do you think your purchase has justified it?

Why did you go straight shaft over curved?

Do you use this unit weekly?

9. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Shindawia le242, love it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Horizon Jay

Horizon Jay LawnSite Member

I own two Stihl 110's. One of them is going on 10 years old and still runs great. Only thing I replaced is throttle cable on that one. Other one hasnt had any issues. Just changed blades. In the spring we edge weekly and then bi-weekly when its established. Its well worth the investment. My $.02

Edit --& spark plugs of course.